loss of power in Escort

My wife drives a 98 Escort. It has 110000 kms on it and has been serviced by the dealer since new. I have noticed a loss of power when accelerating steadily from a dead stop. I have also noticed a loss of power when going a
constant speed on the highway. Could this be a fuel filter or a sensor of some kind? The fuel filter has been changed twice since new.
David
I had the exact same problem and it was the distributer cap.Took me 6 months to figure it out but since repacing it 3yrs ago i have not had a problem.