Low Mileage Maintenence Interval??

My wife's '01 Town Car has 22.4 K miles. It is driven, on average, about 2800 miles per year. I use Mobil 1 5-20 in it.

At what interval should I change the oil??

Reply to
Max Tindell

I'd guess six months... and if it were me, would put that oil right into my car if it's driven a lot..

But how did it get that 22.4.. buy it pre-driven?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It depends. If it is driven far distances, but infrequently, I would change no more than once a year.

If it is driven only short distances (with only 2800 mi per year, this is what I would think), I would change it twice a year, but use regular dino oil. The main problem with the oil would be water condensation building up in it. you won't gain anything by using synthetic.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Every four months should be enough.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yes, it was one of their "certified" used cars which come with a pretty good extended warrany. Bought it almost exactly 4 years ago with 10,500 miles on it. We have only made one road trip with it which was about 1,500 miles.

The warranty came in pretty handy. A few weeks ago I took it to the local Lincoln dealer for a radiator and transmission flush. They informed me the thermostat was stuck, and they could not perform the radiator flush, AND the water pump was leaking. So, it cost me $100 dollars for the water pump and thermostat.

I am still somewhat skeptical about the thermostat diagnosis. The car never ran hot, nor failed to warm up.

Thanks for the feedback. I had about decided on the 6 month interval.

Max

Reply to
Max Tindell

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. I figure every six months is a good plan.

I really don't mind the extra cost for the synthetic. The local Walmart will change the oil with any on the shelf synthetic for $32. Which now raises the question: should I have them upgrade the filter from the standard Fram?

Max

Reply to
Max Tindell

Thanks for the recommendation, Mike. I will likely go with every 6 months.

Reply to
Max Tindell

I wouldn't put a Fram filter on a lawnmower. Your car's oil filter is supposed to have a silicone anti-drainback valve. The Frams have a hard black rubber one. Since Wal-mart stocks the proper Motorcraft FL400S (I think that's the one), I'd highly recommend paying the extra dollar or two for the right filter.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Thanks, I'll do that.

Reply to
Max Tindell

I own a half dozen old cars. The oldest being a 1941 Continental Convertible, and the 1971 Pinto is the one with the highest mileage with nearly 300K on the clock. I drive each of them every month for at least thirty minutes or thirty miles WOF. I average less than 2,500 miles per year. Any collector will tell you the acid that accumulates in the oil pan, of a car that is driven infrequently, will pit the oil pan and any journal that is sitting in the oil. You can wipe a bearing just starting the engine. The filter can be changed once a year, but the fifteen quarts or so, that it takes to change oil three times a year is money well spent. Forget the synthetic stuff, you are simply wasting money if you do not drive more than 15K a year. Any perceived saving using the synthetic stuff will not show up until the engine has been run 200K or more.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Hmmmm. Food for thought, Mike.

I wasn't really thinking of cost savings, just what was neccesary for the longevity of the engine.

This car, while driven few miles, is driven almost daily. But, often for short trips. Well, it is the little old lady that drives to church >I own a half dozen old cars. The oldest being a 1941 Continental

Reply to
Max Tindell

That is more important than the mileage!!!!!!!

Every three months without fail. Think heating then cooling everyday, without time to boil out the water that condenses on the cool.

And a good dino oil will do just fine... like Valvoline, for example.

Like NOT something referring to big eastern state ande advertised highly.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

71 Pinto? Collector? :) Does that Pinto have a 302 in it? That might be worth keeping just for the burn rubber factor :)
Reply to
ShoeSalesman

What is the source of this acid? Last I heard it is from combustion. And with less than 1000 mi driven in three months, there is not enough combustion to make a lot of acid. Plus, the additives in the oil will help neutralize the acid. Synthetic oil has more additives, because the cost of the additives is similar ot the cost of synthetic oil, which is more than the cost of the oil base. So synthetic oil makers can put more additives into synthetic oil.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'll go with Jeff on this one. You see OLD motorcycles (for example) sitting for YEARS with the same oil in them. The only thing that seems to go bad is the gas and tires. Never seen them spin a bearing..............just food for thought.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

I am 80 years old, a retired Automotive engineer with a degree in metallurgy. I worked for thirty five years as a design and field engineer for GM, VW and Ford until I retired in 1986. After a stint as Group Sales Manager, for one of the largest mega dealerships groups on the east cost, I owned an operated my own fleet service business in six states until I sold it in 1999. When asked, the advice I offer comes from my 55 years in the business, 40 of it as a collector.

One is free to accept that advice or not. I have no intention of teaching a school in a NG and I'll not waste time debating what I know to be factual, one is always free to believe what ever one choose and can spend their money as they see fit. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

In other words, you can't back your claims with real evidence.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff, Perhaps you should check your facts before putting misinformation on the NG. Aggreed that good quality synthetic oils have a high level of dispersant and detergent additive, it is not necessarily higher than the additive content in a good quality dino oil. rmac

Reply to
rmac