Low Mileage Maintenence Interval??

My wife's '01 Town Car has 22.4 K miles. It is driven, on average, about 2800 miles per year. I use Mobil 1 5-20 in it.
At what interval should I change the oil??

I'd guess six months... and if it were me, would put that oil right into my car if it's driven a lot..
But how did it get that 22.4.. buy it pre-driven?
you pay..DEAL with it!
On Wed, 10 May 2006 22:57:54 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

Yes, it was one of their "certified" used cars which come with a pretty good extended warrany. Bought it almost exactly 4 years ago with 10,500 miles on it. We have only made one road trip with it which was about 1,500 miles.
The warranty came in pretty handy. A few weeks ago I took it to the local Lincoln dealer for a radiator and transmission flush. They informed me the thermostat was stuck, and they could not perform the radiator flush, AND the water pump was leaking. So, it cost me $100 dollars for the water pump and thermostat.
I am still somewhat skeptical about the thermostat diagnosis. The car never ran hot, nor failed to warm up.
Thanks for the feedback. I had about decided on the 6 month interval.
Max

It depends. If it is driven far distances, but infrequently, I would change no more than once a year.
If it is driven only short distances (with only 2800 mi per year, this is what I would think), I would change it twice a year, but use regular dino oil. The main problem with the oil would be water condensation building up in it. you won't gain anything by using synthetic.
Jeff

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. I figure every six months is a good plan.
I really don't mind the extra cost for the synthetic. The local Walmart will change the oil with any on the shelf synthetic for $32. Which now raises the question: should I have them upgrade the filter from the standard Fram?
Max
I wouldn't put a Fram filter on a lawnmower. Your car's oil filter is supposed to have a silicone anti-drainback valve. The Frams have a hard black rubber one. Since Wal-mart stocks the proper Motorcraft FL400S (I think that's the one), I'd highly recommend paying the extra dollar or two for the right filter.
CJB

Thanks, I'll do that.
Every four months should be enough.
mike

On Wed, 10 May 2006 20:18:08 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Thanks for the recommendation, Mike. I will likely go with every 6 months.
I own a half dozen old cars. The oldest being a 1941 Continental Convertible, and the 1971 Pinto is the one with the highest mileage with nearly 300K on the clock. I drive each of them every month for at least thirty minutes or thirty miles WOF. I average less than 2,500 miles per year. Any collector will tell you the acid that accumulates in the oil pan, of a car that is driven infrequently, will pit the oil pan and any journal that is sitting in the oil. You can wipe a bearing just starting the engine. The filter can be changed once a year, but the fifteen quarts or so, that it takes to change oil three times a year is money well spent. Forget the synthetic stuff, you are simply wasting money if you do not drive more than 15K a year. Any perceived saving using the synthetic stuff will not show up until the engine has been run 200K or more.
mike hunt

Hmmmm. Food for thought, Mike.
I wasn't really thinking of cost savings, just what was neccesary for the longevity of the engine.
This car, while driven few miles, is driven almost daily. But, often for short trips. Well, it is the little old lady that drives to church on Sundays. And, Tuesdays.
On Thu, 11 May 2006 22:33:27 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

That is more important than the mileage!!!!!!!
Every three months without fail. Think heating then cooling everyday, without time to boil out the water that condenses on the cool.
And a good dino oil will do just fine... like Valvoline, for example.
Like NOT something referring to big eastern state ande advertised highly.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Mike Hunter wrote:

71 Pinto? Collector? :) Does that Pinto have a 302 in it? That might be worth keeping just for the burn rubber factor :)

Jeff wrote:

I'll go with Jeff on this one. You see OLD motorcycles (for example) sitting for YEARS with the same oil in them. The only thing that seems to go bad is the gas and tires. Never seen them spin a bearing..............just food for thought.
I am 80 years old, a retired Automotive engineer with a degree in metallurgy. I worked for thirty five years as a design and field engineer for GM, VW and Ford until I retired in 1986. After a stint as Group Sales Manager, for one of the largest mega dealerships groups on the east cost, I owned an operated my own fleet service business in six states until I sold it in 1999. When asked, the advice I offer comes from my 55 years in the business, 40 of it as a collector.
One is free to accept that advice or not. I have no intention of teaching a school in a NG and I'll not waste time debating what I know to be factual, one is always free to believe what ever one choose and can spend their money as they see fit. ;)
mike hunt