LTD Transmission questions

I did some research and found that the transmission in my 83 LTD I6 is a C5 (11 bolt pan) I also found a donor car, an 84 LTD Crown Vic 5.0 with a C3 (13 bolt pan)
In doing my research i found that the 3.3 and 3.8 shared tranny's and that the 3.8 and 5.0 shared trannys. Would it be safe to assume that with that info the 3.3 and 5.0 trannys will interchange? Everything doesn't need to be perfect with it, if the speedo is off by some or the gear indicator isn't correct. All I need it to do is move the car forward AND backward.
Thank you.

That would be an AOD not C3.

Yes, it will all bolt together.

Your 84 LTD Crown Vic 5.0 has the 4 speed AOD, not a C3.
Rob * * *

I've never seen a C-3 behind a V-8 before. Are you sure of this? More likely a C-4. C-3s were little light duty trannys for 4 and 6 cylinder use.
I believe that the Ford inline six (200, 250) does have the small block V-8 pattern.
Your C-5 is a C-4 with a lockup converter.
the only things i'm sure of with the tranny's are the cars they come from, the engine they are mated to, and the # of bolts on the pan of each.
The donor car did have metric in big letters on the pan though, if that matters.
I also thought it to be odd having a C3 w/ a 5.0, but I was going by what I found in the repair info i found.
I have a few more questions, what parts will I need to put the AOD tranny in my LTD? will all the parts from the 83 just bolt right up?
Thank you very much!
donutbandit wrote:

Sorry to tell you this, but the AOD needs electronics. It also needs a TP (throttle positioning) rod from the carb, adjusted exactly right, or you'll burn out the AOD.
Your carb does not have the correct linkage for the rod.
To illustrate how critical the adjustment of this rod is, there is a nylon bushing on the carb for the TP rod. It's nicknamed the $1000 bushing, because that's how much it will cost you (to rebuild the transmission) if the bushing fails and the rod is put out of adjustment.
You'd do far better to find a used C-4 or C-5 tranny.
donutbandit wrote:

What electronics does the AOD need? Its completely hydraulic valve body surely doesn't. It doesn't use an electrically activated lock up torque convertor. Perhaps you mean the backup light switch or the speed control's speed sensor, none of which you need to connect in order to go forward or backward. Stan K.

snip

The AOD is mechanical, no electronics.

Nice name for that nylon bushing......never heard that before. If I remember right, does that $1000 bushing cost about 2 bucks? I remember on a couple of grandmarquis that we have that peice croaked... we keep some spares around.
A friend of mine had crown vic... same part broke, he replaced it with a lego and made it work (one of those round legos) for a while... then I think it fell out and tore up his transmission.