M L P S for T-Bird

<I found a replacement at Auto Zone maybe 18 months ago. Much <easier to install (on my 4r70w, '94 TB LX V8) than what they

Hi Puddin" Man,
I found this in a response you had posted to <94 Thunderbird??>. Yesterday, I started calling around my area. I did find one of these at local Ford dealer and they wanted $185 for it. When I asked what the labor charge would be, the service manager said, "...we do not work on cars older than ten years."
I did talk to PepBoyz and CarQuest - Neither one had this in their catalogs. One said it was a dealer only part. Today, I will try some other places and see.
Which transmission would an LX V6 have? I never did see a clear definition of this. There was lots of discussion about an AODE and a 4R70W.
I really appreciate the information I have been getting here!
Thanks!!
Gerri

1.) Forget such dealer. 2.) The part may not be a direct replacement for the '94 MLPS.

For my 4r70w, maybe 18 mos. ago, CQ siad they could get one. Auto Zone had one, but I had to ask several people behind the desk (first one said they didn't carry such tranny parts).

Nor I.

They likely use the same MLPS. But I dunno for sho'.
Lugnut, where are you?? :-)

You have '94 TBird with 3.8 V6. Right? Tranny is acting up again? Symptoms?
Keep me posted ...
Puddin'
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:11:23 GMT, Puddin' Man

The problem in finding an aftermarket MLPS is that they tend to list them as a nuetral safety switch. That is only part of it's job of course. In the Atlanta area, they are common stock items at AZ, Advance, Pep, O"Reilly or NAPA. Any trans parts supply house should have them. The AODE and the 4R70W should be the same item because the trams diff was/is a wide ratio gear set inside the 4R70W which is what the W designates. Ibn 95 or 96, there was a change in the impedance of the electrinics of the trans which means the solenoids cannot be interchanged. I do not recall if there was a change in the switch which is wired into all of the solenoids
Lugnut
Hi guys,
Gerri here again.
I did find a place on the Net that has the MLPS in stock, and at a reasonable price ($57.01) It's in Dallas, TX. the URL is: www.bulkpart.com
In their response to me, they said to make sure this is an "8 pin type". There is NO exchanges on electrical parts at all.
If anyone has replaced one, do you remember how many pins are on it?
Thanks, Gerri

Look here
AutoZone.com | Shopping | Search Results
http://tinyurl.com/hkhok
or here
http://tinyurl.com/eaf7k
or here
http://tinyurl.com/4tlpx
There are some broad price ranges
Lugnut

Gerri,
The Wells unit I installed 18 mos. ago:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase 01&UserAction=performMoreDetail&Parameters=TRUE%7C%7ENEUTRAL+SAFETY+SWITCH%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EWELLS%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7E202935%7C%7E71%7C%7EF430%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E%2422.99%7C%7EFORD%7C%7ETHUNDERBIRD%7C%7E1994%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E0.34%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EB
or get it from lugnut's link:

It is 8 pin which is what you need for a 1994. It has what looks like a proper seal, unlike the orig. ford part.
I've had no problems with it.
Ideally, if you're gonna install your self, call around AZ, find 1 in stock, remove the old one and take in to the AZ store, do a direct compare (just to be sure).
If you're gonna install, let me know: I may be able to remember some details.
Puddin'
Gerri wrote:

========================== It has 8 pins. I have replaced many of them.
Not seeing knowing, why are you replacing it? curious.
~:~ MarshMonster ~:~
Good Morning!!
WooHoo! Yippie! Yaaahooo!
With the info on the different name of the MLPS, I called PepBoys back and they did find one in their stock. When I asked the price, he said $29.99. I was then transferred to the Service Desk and got an estimate on the labor cost to install it.
In one of the above posts, I did find a picture of this and I was going to take the pic with me. Guess what? Yeppers! I pulled into the PB parking lot and realized I had forgot the pic. No problem...I could remember what it looked like.
After getting the part and taking it to the service desk, I roamed around the store for a few minutes and came back to the waiting area. After a total of 35 minutes, I looked up to see my Bird being backed out of the garage.
The total cost came to $84.99, including tax. This includes the part ($29.99), labor (45.00), misc shop supplies ($3.75) and a lace-up steering wheel cover (3.99).
Coming home, I wasn't able to get up to 55-60 as I was driving in town. However, the 1-2 shift was much smoother (before, the car would 'jump' forward), the 2-3 had a more positive feel to it, and it didn't seem to want to go into high gear at 36-37mph like before. I guess I will find out what it does on the open road later today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks bunches guys for all the advice and information you gave me. I really appreciate it a lot.
Byeee! (for now, anyways)
Gerri