M L P S for T-Bird

For my 4r70w, maybe 18 mos. ago, CQ siad they could get one. Auto Zone had one, but I had to ask several people behind the desk (first one said they didn't carry such tranny parts).

Nor I.

They likely use the same MLPS. But I dunno for sho'.

Lugnut, where are you?? :-)

You have '94 TBird with 3.8 V6. Right? Tranny is acting up again? Symptoms?

Keep me posted ...

Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

The problem in finding an aftermarket MLPS is that they tend to list them as a nuetral safety switch. That is only part of it's job of course. In the Atlanta area, they are common stock items at AZ, Advance, Pep, O"Reilly or NAPA. Any trans parts supply house should have them. The AODE and the

4R70W should be the same item because the trams diff was/is a wide ratio gear set inside the 4R70W which is what the W designates. Ibn 95 or 96, there was a change in the impedance of the electrinics of the trans which means the solenoids cannot be interchanged. I do not recall if there was a change in the switch which is wired into all of the solenoids

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Hi guys,

Gerri here again.

I did find a place on the Net that has the MLPS in stock, and at a reasonable price ($57.01) It's in Dallas, TX. the URL is:

In their response to me, they said to make sure this is an "8 pin type". There is NO exchanges on electrical parts at all.

If anyone has replaced one, do you remember how many pins are on it?

Thanks, Gerri

Reply to
Gerri

Look here

AutoZone.com | Shopping | Search Results

or here

or here

There are some broad price ranges

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Gerri,

The Wells unit I installed 18 mos. ago:

or get it from lugnut's link:

It is 8 pin which is what you need for a 1994. It has what looks like a proper seal, unlike the orig. ford part.

I've had no problems with it.

Ideally, if you're gonna install your self, call around AZ, find 1 in stock, remove the old one and take in to the AZ store, do a direct compare (just to be sure).

If you're gonna install, let me know: I may be able to remember some details.

Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

============== ==============

It has 8 pins. I have replaced many of them.

Not seeing knowing, why are you replacing it? curious.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
MarshMonster

Good Morning!!

WooHoo! Yippie! Yaaahooo!

With the info on the different name of the MLPS, I called PepBoys back and they did find one in their stock. When I asked the price, he said $29.99. I was then transferred to the Service Desk and got an estimate on the labor cost to install it.

In one of the above posts, I did find a picture of this and I was going to take the pic with me. Guess what? Yeppers! I pulled into the PB parking lot and realized I had forgot the pic. No problem...I could remember what it looked like.

After getting the part and taking it to the service desk, I roamed around the store for a few minutes and came back to the waiting area. After a total of 35 minutes, I looked up to see my Bird being backed out of the garage.

The total cost came to $84.99, including tax. This includes the part ($29.99), labor (45.00), misc shop supplies ($3.75) and a lace-up steering wheel cover (3.99).

Coming home, I wasn't able to get up to 55-60 as I was driving in town. However, the 1-2 shift was much smoother (before, the car would 'jump' forward), the 2-3 had a more positive feel to it, and it didn't seem to want to go into high gear at 36-37mph like before. I guess I will find out what it does on the open road later today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks bunches guys for all the advice and information you gave me. I really appreciate it a lot.

Byeee! (for now, anyways)

Gerri

Reply to
Gerri