Mainfold gaskets

HELP! I have to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets on a 390 in me '63 T Bird. I need one of the experts to tell me which side of the gasket goes toward the head? There is the perf. metal side and the
fiber side. Which side goes where. The gasket is symetrical and could go either way.
snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net wrote:

temp. when they heat up.. the whold gasket was make out of sheets of material, so they could be sandwiched together, but it does not matter which side goes where....
jim wrote:

I don't know if it makes it the right way to do it or not, but if you put the metal side toward the heads it will be easier to remove the gasket material the next time. It's generally easier to remove and carry the manifolds into a warm, well lit workspace than the heads.
Sometimes applying to both sides of the gasket, Ultra copper high heat silicone, then letting it set up for 5 to 10 minutes snugging, another 10 minutes and tighten (from inside bolts/studs out to help reduce warping) will give a great seal. Re-tighten after heat cycle! Wil