Maintenance schedules?

2002 Ford Taurus, what is/are the maintenance schedules for changing things like the oil/tranny fluids?

Also, what oil weight? Like 20/50 5/30 etc??

Also how do I know if I have 'green' or 'gold' engine coolant? How often should this be changed?

I have a PDF with some info on this but not this info.

Sorry for so many questions at once. thanks

Reply to
Robert Blass

Oil; 3000 miles severe duty 5000 miles normal duty

Transmission fluid; 30,000 miles regardless of duty.

Use a 5W20 semi synthetic or full synthetic that meets the Ford specifications. Heavier viscosities will not get you better protection. The Ford specification is a very tough specification.

Look at the color. Look for any labels under the hood.

Green coolant; 45,000 miles Yellow coolant; 100,000 miles

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Jim Warman

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:28:42 -0500, aarcuda69062 sayd the following:

thank you!

Reply to
Robert Blass

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 00:06:56 GMT, "Jim Warman" sayd the following:

Thank you, that helped a lot!

Reply to
Robert Blass

Try looking in your owner's manual. If you don't have one, should should be able to download a copy by going to

and looking in the owner's area on the web site.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Robert Blass wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@xxx.org:

Recommended oil change is every 5000 miles including filter with 5W20 Oil or every 6 months under normal service. Every 3000 miles or 3 months with severe service. I believe they recommend changing transmission fluid every 40,000 miles. Make sure you use Motorcraft Merkon 5 and be careful if you let someone other than a dealer do this. This is one thing I would recommend you let a dealer do as it cost about $140 US dollars to have the fluid pumped out and exchanged at the dealer. If you aren't sure about the maintenance of the car you should have this done. After knowing it has been done at a certain mileage you can stretch this a bit if the fluid is stiil clean and red and you drive normally. Look in the radiator reservoir and you can see the color of the coolant but either color is ok. Plugs at 100,000 miles. It has an external fuel filter which needs to be changed but I don't know the interval. Every 50,000 miles should be adequate unless you get some bad gas. Check the Serpentine belt and if it looks like it has been on a while it might be a good ideaa to change it out. Keep the old one for emergency use. HTH

Reply to
tango

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 04:47:28 GMT, tango sayd the following:

All that helps a bunch, thanks!

Reply to
Robert Blass

The page cited requires a subscription.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

can download a pdf of the owner manual.

Reply to
dold

They accept most major credit cards.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

On Fri, 9 May 2008 18:51:21 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@65.usenet.us.com sayd the following:

WOW, that hit the spot dead on, thank you!!!!

Reply to
Robert Blass

Shit happens... try going to motorcraft.com and doing some stuff... no subscription required... it is there for free.

FWIW... try Google before you try usenet.. you mkight be surprised.

Reply to
Jim Warman