Maniflold question

On my 250 inline 6 manifold there are two pipes connecting to the carburetor. One metal pipe has a fitting that threads into the carburetor. This pipe has a cloth braid. The other pipe has a rubber hose that fits
over a carburetor pipe. Does anyone know what these pipes are for? It seems to me that hot exhaust gases are brought into the carburetor but what for? Emissions control?
Thanks in advance

Choke heater. The one that threads onto the carb supplies hot air that is heated in a tube in the manifold to the bi-metalic choke stat. The other one is the fresh air inlet to the tube in the manifold.
whats a carburetor? sounds familiar but.....hmmmmm :)

From the Latin words;
"carb" (to mix air and fuel)
"uretor" (really poorly)

oh yes, I remember now! LOL

It's one of those devices built to mix sub-$1/gal. gasoline with air.