Mark VIII - avoid or buy?

Hello from a newbie. If you would, offer an opinion, please. I currently drive a '93 T-bird, 5.0, taken over from my girlfriend. It's in fair shape, 123k miles, but not previously well-maintained and needing a lot of suspension work ($700 for struts, bushings, etc from much neglect). I recently sold my other 2 vehicles, and have some money to spend, but don't want to waste it on a junker or lemon. I also live in NYC, and because of the roads, would really prefer a rear-drive car. I'm seriously considering a Lincoln Mark VIII, because I've always liked the looks of that car. So... Is this a trouble-prone car? Is the air-ride a real hassle? Are there any model years I should specifically avoid? Is it an even worse idea than spending money on my Thunderbird? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Space Ace

Not sure on the specifics, but I think that a car's a car and if you like it then go for it! From '93, all that really matters is how well they took care of it...it sounds like it needs suspension work, but that may just be a trouble spot which new steel may remedy. As for the powertrain, if you think it's okay, it just might be...if you're worried most auto shops have equipment which can test all that stuff.

I just think that anything man-made can break, so as long as you like it, then it's perfect!

Good luck!

Reply to
paper

I drive a '93 T-bird, 5.0, 123k miles, needs $700 of suspension work. I'm considering a Lincoln Mark VIII, because I've always liked its looks and I prefer RWD. Is this car trouble-prone? Is the air-ride a real hassle? Are there any model years I should specifically avoid? Is it an even worse idea than spending money on my Thunderbird? ______________________________________

A great source of information for the Mark is:

There are technical articles, links to Lincoln resources, and forums where posters openly discuss problem areas and their solutions.

The T-bird and the Mark are both great personal luxury cars. A love for these cars and a willingness to repair and maintain vehicles of their generation permit the freedom to choose either.

Good luck.

Wendy & John. ________________________________________

Reply to
Wendy & John

Reply to
Space Ace

I've gotta disagree, not all cars are created equal. Some models and powertrains are much more durable and reliable than others. Personally, the best car I've ever owned was an '87 T-bird, 3.8 V6. It went to 263,000 miles (hassle-free except rebuilt tranny at 125k) before some dope on her cell phone rear ended me at 50 mph. It was still running after the collision. It's that car that made me a fan of the T-bird/Cougar/Mark family of Fords.

Reply to
Space Ace

Hey Space, Check out

There is a Mark VIII forum that can help you out. The VII is a nice car but it's getting a bit dated. Very cool for it's time, and if you find a nice one well, it is a great car.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

i have a 93 Mk 8. It has been a good car but I spent 2000 big ones on the front susp. 3 yrs. ago and the back is bad now. strutmasters.com has a retro kit to do away with the air susp.

Reply to
swiftwinger