Mass exodus from Ford today

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070228/BUSINESS01/702280344
Mass exodus from Ford today Thanks to buyouts, thousands of workers call it quits
February 28, 2007
BY SARAH A. WEBSTER
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER
This is it: The big good-bye. The finish line.
Ford Motor Co. had hoped to convince about 10,000 salaried workers to leave as part of a voluntary buyout program that aims to revive the automaker. Today is the last day for many of them.
Ford won't say exactly how many people have shredded their confidential files, packed their cardboard boxes and signed the legal forms so they could take a buyout and leave today. But Ford executives have acknowledged they had a high take rate on their buyout offers, so thousands and thousands of badges will likely be turned in on this historic day.
Many workers who turn them in, like 36-year Ford engineer Tim Cross, say they are happy to go after decades of service to Ford. Others, like Raymond Wright, a nearly 50-year Ford employee, feel they really have no choice given the threat of layoffs, which will be necessary if Ford doesn't hit its job-reduction targets.
Signs of the difficult, changing times can be seen around Dearborn and inside 103-year-old Ford, which lost a record $12.7 billion last year.
"For Sale" placards continue sprouting up on lawns. Restaurants have been inundated with Ford workers who are celebrating their departures with lunches and dinners. Ford workers and suppliers report that business has slowed down in several departments, in spite of management's plans for the transition.
On Friday, at Bailey's, a popular sports bar in downtown Dearborn, Cross slipped on a neon orange sash that declared "Retired" and a pin that celebrated: "I made it!"
More than 50 of his colleagues, friends and family members gathered in the basement to eat some fish and chips, watch a video collage of Cross' life -- set to the tune "Lucky Man" -- and send him off into retirement with some kind words and jokes.
"Who remembers the perm?" one Ford colleague asked the crowd over a microphone, causing hands to shoot up and the room to erupt in laughter.
Cross, a Canton resident, was a popular engineer at Ford. He mentored countless numbers of colleagues in the weight department about how to make vehicles lighter, and he also ran the Ford softball league for many years.
Cross enjoyed one of the rarer, individual good-bye celebrations, said John Samson, an engineer at Ford for the past 17 years and a friend of Cross. Many workers, he noted, were just having big group events. The weight engineering department held a pizza party on Thursday for more than 20 of the 47 workers who are leaving.
"It's a shame there couldn't have been more individual parties to honor people the way they should be, but there's so many people leaving," Samson said.
Ed Pelc, an engineer who will have 30 years of service at Ford in July, added: "It's just a mass exit of people."
While Cross held his party in the basement of Bailey's during the lunch hour last Friday, a table of 14 other Ford workers upstairs in the bar simultaneously held a good-bye lunch for several of their retiring Ford supervisors at the Rouge Complex.
In recent weeks, Bailey's has been hosting about eight to 14 good-bye parties a day for Ford workers, said Patty Gabriel, the pub's event coordinator. The events start about lunchtime and last through the evening.
"It's crazy," Gabriel said, flipping through a printout of dates, times and numbers of people attending various parties.
Patrick Barrow, who has worked as a Ford engineer for 17 years, can attest to the difficulty managing all of the various departures.
"I have conflicting going-away parties," he said.
At Park Place banquet hall and catering service in Dearborn, big round tables covered in linen and a skirted buffet lined with Sterno-ready serving tubs await the next going-away event.
Gary Kuhlmann, owner of Park Place, said he's been hosting joint going- away parties for eight, 10 and 20 people at a time. This year has been a busy one, and he expects it will remain that way through March.
"We might have retired 150 to 300 people," Kuhlmann said. "It's helping business."
While the events are sad, he said there haven't been too many tears. Most of the departing Ford workers have worked for the automaker for three decades and are ready to go. Usually, coworkers and family members give a few speeches, hand out a few plaques and gifts and leave for the next chapter of their lives.
When it was finally his turn at the microphone at Bailey's, Cross pulled off his eyeglasses to say a few words.
"Well, I've enjoyed my work at Ford Motor Co. But it's not the work I'll miss," he said, starting to choke up. He lifted his hand to cover his eyes as they welled up with tears. "It's the people."
Cross said he plans to spend his retirement fishing and hunting at his vacation home in Mio and spending more time with his family, which includes three grandchildren.
"Just remember," he said, "I'm just a phone call or e-mail away."
At many of the parties, Ford workers who plan to remain at the company huddled to discuss the transition period that awaits.
After the buyouts are done, Ford must figure out how to work with less and where people need to be reassigned. The company will also need to evaluate how many workers it might need to lay off in certain departments.
Rich Raines, who supervises the weight engineering department at Ford, has worked at the automaker for 28 years and is not retiring. He said it's a difficult time at Ford, and it will be challenging to manage going forward.
"I'm concerned about the number of talented people who are leaving," he said.
Contact SARAH A. WEBSTER at 313-222-5394 or snipped-for-privacy@freepress.com.

Rather like catching the last train from Boot Hill or escaping the Titanic on a lifeboat.

True, also reminds me of the fall of Saigon.