Mazda help please!

My 2000 626 LX had to be towed into the dealer because it is stuck in park. The dealer says I need a new shift cable and with the tow I am looking at a total of close to $700. My question to the group is, has anyone here ever replaced a cable in this type of car? Is this something that I could attempt myself? (I am told this is a 4 hour job - am I going to have to remove the exhaust system?) I know this is a Ford group! Just hoping for some help.

TIA, Steve

Reply to
D H A C

Don't these things have an *electrical* Park shift lock interlock?

Reply to
FanJet

"FanJet" wrote: > D H A C wrote: > > My 2000 626 LX had to be towed into the dealer because it is > stuck in > > park. The dealer says I need a new shift cable and with the > tow I am > > looking at a total of close to $700. > > My question to the group is, has anyone here ever replaced a > cable in > > this type of car? Is this something that I could attempt > myself? (I > > am told this is a 4 hour job - am I going to have to remove > the > > exhaust system?) > > I know this is a Ford group! Just hoping for some help. > >

Hi new here, yes most Mazdas have the over ride. The job entails a bit of knowledge but for sur can be done your self. I worked for mazda for

4 years in Canada so here my best guess. to do the job you will need to remove the center console, a fairly easy task on any Mazda. there will be four screws that hold the shifter plate to the mechanism, remove these. you will probably need to remove the the whole mechanism after this. That should reveal the two bolts and the clip that holds the cable on, inside the car. the two bolts just mentioned could also be installed from the outside. so to get at the bolts im pretty sure that you just have to drop the heat shield a bit. ( I think that they are pulling your chain to remove the exhaust!!) remove these bolts then follow the cable to the tranny, there should be a bolt or two holding a access panel to the area that the cable enters the trans. inside you will be able to remove the cable from the trans. I have done a few on 2.0L proteges and the platform is fairly simular. sorry you didnt say whether the car was a 6 or a 4 cyl. I also dont have a 626 in front of me so I hope this helps.

p.s. I just replaced the shifter cable on my Honda Accord, and the cable cost from Honda was $275 cdn. I found one in the aftermarket for $75 cdn. so if you havnt doled out the money yet try pricing one out elsewhere this could save you money considerably. rather then letting mazda rape you.

Reply to
Only84

[...]

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

D H A C
Reply to
Only84