Mazda help please!

My 2000 626 LX had to be towed into the dealer because it is stuck in park. The dealer says I need a new shift cable and with the tow I am looking at a
total of close to $700. My question to the group is, has anyone here ever replaced a cable in this type of car? Is this something that I could attempt myself? (I am told this is a 4 hour job - am I going to have to remove the exhaust system?) I know this is a Ford group! Just hoping for some help.
TIA, Steve
D H A C wrote:

Don't these things have an *electrical* Park shift lock interlock?
"FanJet" wrote: > D H A C wrote: > > My 2000 626 LX had to be towed into the dealer because it is > stuck in > > park. The dealer says I need a new shift cable and with the > tow I am > > looking at a total of close to $700. > > My question to the group is, has anyone here ever replaced a > cable in > > this type of car? Is this something that I could attempt > myself? (I > > am told this is a 4 hour job - am I going to have to remove > the > > exhaust system?) > > I know this is a Ford group! Just hoping for some help. > > > > TIA, > > Steve > > Don't these things have an *electrical* Park shift lock > interlock?
Hi new here, yes most Mazdas have the over ride. The job entails a bit of knowledge but for sur can be done your self. I worked for mazda for 4 years in Canada so here my best guess. to do the job you will need to remove the center console, a fairly easy task on any Mazda. there will be four screws that hold the shifter plate to the mechanism, remove these. you will probably need to remove the the whole mechanism after this. That should reveal the two bolts and the clip that holds the cable on, inside the car. the two bolts just mentioned could also be installed from the outside. so to get at the bolts im pretty sure that you just have to drop the heat shield a bit. ( I think that they are pulling your chain to remove the exhaust!!) remove these bolts then follow the cable to the tranny, there should be a bolt or two holding a access panel to the area that the cable enters the trans. inside you will be able to remove the cable from the trans. I have done a few on 2.0L proteges and the platform is fairly simular. sorry you didnt say whether the car was a 6 or a 4 cyl. I also dont have a 626 in front of me so I hope this helps.
p.s. I just replaced the shifter cable on my Honda Accord, and the cable cost from Honda was $275 cdn. I found one in the aftermarket for $75 cdn. so if you havnt doled out the money yet try pricing one out elsewhere this could save you money considerably. rather then letting mazda rape you.
[...]
I appreciate the details. It sounds like something I may try. It is a 4 cylinder by the way. At least the insurance company will pay for the towing fees. I looked for an after-market cable but can only find OEM and the most affordable is $100 plus shipping (about $35 less then the dealer list)

http://www.AutoForumz.com/Ford-Mecury-Mazda-help-ftopict92562.html
http://www.AutoForumz.com/eform.php?pB5841
"D H A C1" wrote: > I appreciate the details. It sounds like something I may try. > It is a 4 > cylinder by the way. At least the insurance company will pay > for the towing > fees. I looked for an after-market cable but can only find OEM > and the most > affordable is $100 plus shipping (about $35 less then the > dealer list)
> > > "FanJet" wrote: > &nbsp;> > D H A C wrote: > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > My 2000 626 LX had to be towed into the > dealer because it is > &nbsp;> > stuck in > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > park. The dealer says I need a new shift > cable and with the > &nbsp;> > tow I am > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > looking at a total of close to $700. > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > My question to the group is, has anyone > here ever replaced a > &nbsp;> > cable in > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > this type of car? Is this something that I > could attempt > &nbsp;> > myself? (I > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > am told this is a 4 hour job - am I going > to have to remove > &nbsp;> > the > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > exhaust system?) > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > I know this is a Ford group! Just hoping > for some help. > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > TIA, > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Steve > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > Don't these things have an *electrical* Park shift > lock > &nbsp;> > interlock? > > > > Hi new here, yes most Mazdas have the over ride. The job > entails a bit > > of knowledge but for sur can be done your self. I worked for > mazda for > > 4 years in Canada so here my best guess. to do the job you > will need > > to remove the center console, a fairly easy task on any > Mazda. there > > will be four screws that hold the shifter plate to the > mechanism, > > remove these. you will probably need to remove the the whole > mechanism > > after this. That should reveal the two bolts and the clip > that holds > > the cable on, inside the car. the two bolts just mentioned > could also > > be installed from the outside. so to get at the bolts im > pretty sure > > that you just have to drop the heat shield a bit. ( I think > that they > > are pulling your chain to remove the exhaust!!) remove these > bolts > > then follow the cable to the tranny, there should be a bolt > or two > > holding a access panel to the area that the cable enters the > trans. > > inside you will be able to remove the cable from the trans. > I have > > done a few on 2.0L proteges and the platform is fairly > simular. sorry > > you didnt say whether the car was a 6 or a 4 cyl. I also > dont have a > > 626 in front of me so I hope this helps. > > > > p.s. I just replaced the shifter cable on my Honda Accord, > and the > > cable cost from Honda was $275 cdn. I found one in the > aftermarket > > for $75 cdn. so if you havnt doled out the money yet try > pricing one > > out elsewhere > > this could save you money considerably. rather then letting > mazda rape > > you. > > > > -- > > http://www.AutoForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > http://www.AutoForumz.com/Ford-Mecury-Mazda-help-ftopict92562.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > http://www.AutoForumz.com/eform.php?pB5841
If you attempt this just remember to take every precaution to be safe, use proper jack stands to hold the car while under. after I thought about it the engine size dosnt really matter other than having a front and rear exhaust manifold for the 6. you should still have enough room though, again hope this helps.