Mazda S-plan pricing - can you do better?

My company is in the Ford Partner Recognition plan, which gives me access to the s-plan, which seems to be the same as the Edmunds.com invoice pricing.
Supposedly, the dealer is also compensated by Ford(?) - and is for some reason prohibited from offering any additional discount, or items of value to the buyer. The plan says I'm supposed to fess up to being covered when I walk in the door - they stress "immediately identify yourself as a plan participant" in bold type on the partner site.
So my question is - why the upfront disclosure? Is it possible that I'd get a better deal working on my own - seems I can't do both without breaking the plan rules... It looks like the current s plan is invoice price (about $400 less than edmunds TMV), and apparently the dlr isn't allowed to jam one with doc fees etc. Heh - it specifically says that document preparation is part of the dealers cost of doing business - and that they shouldn't be charging for it
Will I do better than invoice on a 2004 Mazda6? Any recent experiences?
- Bo

get
the
$400
with
part
charging
My guess is that the dealer gets some money back from Mazda, to make up for lost profit.
What I would do is go to a dealer, don't tell them you have the plan. Get their best price. Then go to another dealer. Get the plan price. And then compare. Or you can just go to the dealer another night and say: "Gee, I found out that my company is a participant in this plan. Would this save me money?"
Jeff