Meaning of "Manufacturer's car" at an Auction

I recently came across an autocheck history for a Mercury Grand Marquis that had the car being sold at an Eastern Region Auto Auction. It said the car was listed at the auction as a manufacturer('s) car. It only
had ten miles on it. A dealer got the car and applied for a new title at the 13 mile mark.(It was initially titled in Flint, MI with 3 miles on it.) The dealer is now selling the car as used. I've seen new cars that had more demo miles on them than that. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew if the term "manufacturer car" or "manufacturer's car" has any hidden significance...ie this is a potential lemon, etc.
Thanks.
Danny
PS Anyone have any idea where the "Eastern Region Auto Auction" is held, or is that just a reference to one of many auctions in the east?
It could have been used for a couple of things, but there's absolutely no way to trace the history. I have seen these turn up on local dealer lots from time to time and they won't tell you anything at all about the vehicle except that it was never titled before they got it. Sometimes vehicles with manufacturer titles were used for some sort of testing. It could have been parked all winter in sub-zero temps and checked every few days to see if it would start on the first try. It could have been parked in the desert all summer. Or it could have had the doors opened and closed thousands of times by an independent testing lab to see if hinges/latches would wear out. Also cars that are used for public displays at major auto shows fall into this category. They have never been driven on the road, yet tens of thousands of people have been in and out of the vehicle, playing with controls etc. Whatever it was, the manufacturer feels the vehicle has not been significantly compromised or it would not be sold at auction. They either destroy or sell for salvage (often minus some critical parts, or minus parts they damaged in testing) vehicles they do not want in the hands of the public.
Danny wrote:

That's right.. and I suspect it was a pilot assembly vehicle.
Anyone living around a mfrs auto plant should be used to those... they carry mfrs plates on the road.
Sons friend just showed up in the Chrys x-over which goes out in September, obviously, as he's in Development, had mfr plates.
His, of course, will have a couple thousand miles on it.

you pay..DEAL with it!
Vehicle, off the assembly line, that are periodically used in 'test' are NEVER sold, period. Based on the mileage my guess it was shown at a dealer, or public, auto show. Vehicles that are randomly test driven must show at mileage sticker when shipped to a dealership. Generally it will be around 30 miles
mike hunt

Danny wrote:

Not likely to be a lemon with so few miles. With such low mileage it might have been damaged in transit and repaired by Ford, then sold at auction. Sometimes brand new cars get dropped off trucks, banged upon loading on a train, etc. There are rules about how much rework the mfg. can do and still sell the car as new. After a certain level of pre-sale repair it can only be sold as used. My *guess* is that you have such a vehicle. Probably nothing to worry about. You should still have the full term of the original warranty.
John
"Eastern Region Auto Auction" is not a place it is a program where Ford sells vehicles at auction to dealerships. General they are held at the "Manheim Auto Auction' sites throughout the east. "Manufacturer car" means the ONLY previous owner was the manufacture, not Ford Credit or a lease return for example. Once it was sold to a dealership, "manufacturer car" no longer applies. Manufacture can not sell NEW vehicles directly to anyone, not even one their subsidiaries. Ford can only sell to dealer and only dealers can sell NEW vehicles. Once the company uses the vehicle they must sell it a used car.
mike hunt