mercon V fluid in a 2008 Fusion?

?ubb=showflat&Number=1677059

C. E. White

I'm not the one with the Fusion, but some of these posts are 3 years old. If it was me, I would contact Ford directly, not the dealers, and see what their offices have to say. As for my Escape: I drag raced a V10 Toureg yesterday and kept up with him for awhile. :-) Smooth shifting all the way with my synthetic BG (car calls for Mercon ONLY).

Reply to
Sheldon

Could contact ford, pretty sure they would say use the FNR5 fluid from Ford though. Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Then use what they say. The post started with Mercon, which Ford claims they don't make anymore. So, that's why the Net is bombarded with questions about Mercon vs. Mercon V. What do you do when your owner's manual and dip stick say to "ONLY" use Mercon, NOT Mercon V? Hence, the mysterious service bulletin that's so hard to find. If they sill make FNR5 ATF that's what I would use, unless I could find a substitute that meets or exceeds it from a reputable company, and after a short search I can't find anything as a substitute. At least you can find what the car calls for.

Reply to
Sheldon

Actully the post started out with Mercon V being used in a transmission that Ford says requires FNR5 (apparently the same as Mazda M5 ATF). The Mercon V for Mercon debacle, while of interest to many, is not directly related to the orignal post. The 4 cylinder Fusions use a Mazda sourced automatic which uses a different ATF than other Fords.

The whole ATF thing is way out of hand. I have a 6 cylinder Fusion that has a Aisin 6 speed automatic that uses one type of ATF not used by other Fords. It is claimed to be the same as some Toyota ATF, but Ford calls it "Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid." My F150 has a ZF sourced 6 speed automatic that uses what Ford calls Mercon LV. Ford still sells new vehicles that use Mercon V. And finally the new Fiesta uses a special fluid called "Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid" in the computer shifted dual clutch automatic transmission they have as an option.

It is not just Ford that is pulling this stuff. Toyota has at least two different ATFs depending on the year and model of transmission. And my old Nissan Frontier called for a very specific ATF that was not readily available.

I no longer trusts shops to get the right ATF. I go to the dealer and buy the right stuff and take it with me to the shop doing the fluid change. And surprisingly, it is not always easy to get the dealership to come up with the right stuff. When I had the fluid changed in my F150 it took a week for the dealer to get the correct fluid (the Mercon LV). They said they never used that - they always used Mercon V.....scary coming from a dealer.

I do wonder about the Mercon V for Mercon recommendation since for years Ford said to not use Mercon V in a transmission that called for Mercon.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 10:37:51 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrot e:

Reply to
kurtlondon123

According to Ford and Motorcraft Chemicals the special FNR5 fluid (XT9QMM5) is obsolete and has been replaced with a recommendation to just use MERCON V. I talked to the Ford Dealer parts Dept on the phone but here is a link to the motorcraft site.

kurtlondon123