Mercury Grand Marquis 96 - CoolDex?

I just bought a Grand Marquis 96. Was this car delivered from the factory with CoolDex or normal cooling fluid?
I am thinking about flushing the system but since it only has 50k miles on
it maybe that is not a good idea if it is filled with CoolDex..?
I don't know nuthin' about what type of coolant but can recommend that you check the intake manifold as they crack near the thermostat and let the coolant leak out. See http://www.flamingfords.info for some more details.
Henry
Kristofer Andersson wrote:

There is no visible leak on the manifold. Should I replace it anyway? How much does it normally cost to have it replaced or is it easy to do myself?
Oh, and I messed up the name of the coolant in my original post. Dex-Cool is the correct name.

Dexcool is usually found in General Motors vehicles.
Check the owner's manual or service manual for the correct type of coolant. There may also be a label on the coolant reservoir. The color of the coolant can be a hint, although there are some incompatible coolants that are similar colors (but brown usually means that someone mixed incompatible coolants in the car).
Timothy J. Lee

Ok, the reason I am asking is because the Haynes manual said that some models have DexCool. But maybe they just copied and pasted that part from the chevy book... :) I will buy a Chilton book for it instead.

Ok, but if I do a complete flush will it matter what type of coolant I use?
If you're doing a complete flush, just use standard coolant.
CJ
wrote in message

wrote in message

There's your problem. Both those books are utter and total crap. Get a Ford book, you won't find Ford copying a GM manual. You can probably find it used for cheap on Ebay or elsewhere.