mercury mystique idling

got a 1995 mystique 2.5L v6 and it is idling weird. its idling around 500 and sometimes stalls. when i tap the gas it shoots up to 3000 rpms and stays there for about 20 secs and then drops again. also the brakes seem to be really stiff in drive and not very good. when its in park the brakes seem to be normal again (less stiff). thanks

Reply to
Jared D

====================== Sounds like a big vacuum leak. It is affecting your power brakes and your idle.....Open the hood and listen for a hissing sound....

Reply to
Scott M

I hope you didn't buy my old Mystique! See the Mystique page on my web site, address is below.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

I think when the engine stays at higher RPM, that is normal for the v6. Mine does it. The engine speeds stays higher so that unburned hydrocarbons do not spew out of the engine. I guess when the engine slows down suddenly, too much gas gets into the cylinders and out the exhaust. However, the Duratec is the only engine I have heard about that does this high RPM thing.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff