Metalic clicking

I hear a metalic clicking sound on my Ford Taurus when I hit the excelerator. It's real faint under normal driving conditions but when I go up a hill the clicking is more prevalent. This just started a few days ago. I know it makes that sound when its low on fluids but no oil was needed when I check and I need a quart of transmission fluid. The noise still continued after I added the transmission fluid. Does any one have any idea on other causes of this sound.

Thanks G

Reply to
Greg via CarKB.com

You don't mention year etc.. Assuming you have a setup similar to my T-Bird 4.6, it sounds like the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) which deals with the computer on air to fuel ratio. The sound you hear (in this case) is actually pinging. On my engine it's in a unit attached to the air inlet just past the air cleaner. When you take it out (with great care because it's delicate) you need an anti-tamper tool and some non oil based cleaner to remove the build up of dust. It's like a little light bulb filament (but not *that* delicate). A lot has been written here about it, you can do a search or e-mail me and I'll reply with more detail. Once you see how it's done, it takes only a few minutes. The dealers will ding you pretty good so if you have *any* talent at all you can do it yourself. The tool I mentioned cost around 8 bucks.

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

lmfao good one frank bwhahahahahahahahahahahaha

hurc ast

Reply to
hurricane 575

Sorry, it's a 2001. Is that MAS available at your local auto repair store or is that something that dealer will have to order? I have some capablities to do it myself. What type of tools would I need to remove the sensor?

Thanks G

Reply to
Greg via CarKB.com

hopefully a cracked flex plate

hurc ast

Reply to
hurricane 575

Does it change with the speed? Sure its not a failing CV joint? Can you localize where its coming from?

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

The tool to remove it on mine is the T-20 Star Bit. You need to remove the two little screws show here with paint on them. Scroll down for particulars.

All of this, of course depends on the particulars of your vehicle (shown is the 4.6 engine) and how "metallic" this "metallic clicking" actually is. I only heard one good analogy of what this engine sounds like when it pings and I can't recall it right now. Some might call it metallic. It happens when accelerating or going uphill.

F.H.

Maybe an exhaust manifold gasket started leaking... they often make metallic clicking sounds that get louder climbing hills and under acceleration. Frequency would vary with engine, not vehicle speed.

They're a fairly common thing...

If you have good access to the exhaust manifold, with it running listen all around it with a stethoscope using just a plain piece of vacuum hose for a 'probe'. Be careful, don't get burned or tangled up in anything moving... It could quite loud when/if you find it too.

Sometimes you can see dark exhaust discoloration around the leaking area/s.

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik