modeo 1.8 heavy steering

I recently bought a very nice mondeo 1997 with 45K miles on (correct). I cannot fault it but to say that the steering is heavy. I have had the tracking checked twice and it is spot on. The PAS is working but the whole
thing seems very heavy. As I have not driven another Mondeo I wonder if this is the way they are. I have recently driven Rover 600 and large Volvos which steered with one finger.
I would be glad of any help here before I throw cash at the problem.
Also, when should I get the timming belt replaced (expensive?)
Pete

The Rover 600 is known to have appalling light steering. The Mondeo has feel through the steering.

You need to try another Mondeo.

What donk?
--
The DervMan