Modern Tires Ruin the Roads

Page 1 of 4
Pebbles catch in the fine sipes of modern tires and are carried in the tread. As the tire rolls, they abrade the roadways.
Earlier tire designs use coarse zig-zag treads that cannot pick up small
rocks.
Car manufacturers should specify tire tread designs that do no degrade the roads. Only rubber compound should contact the roadways.

uhh... no!
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

I don't know where he's getting this from... IME old bias ply tire have far more "fine sipes" than the modern radials that I currently have on my cars (BFG T/A on one, Yoko ES100 on another, and some Goodyear all-season POS on a third)
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Dunno about THAT, but there's no doubt that bias plies were far more destructive to secondary roads....
Geezers, please think back to where every curve became rutted... due to tire resistance.
you pay..DEAL with it!

Perhaps it was due to tire resistance, but I doubt it. IMHO it was due to the poor road constuction back then. Modern roads are much more heavily built than they were in the bias ply days, at least where I live. Nowadays cities near here gut the old road and lay in much more base rock and asphalt than they took out. Compaction and testing methods have also greatly improved, as have materials. So, if you want to take the opinion of a person who deals with road reconstruction on a peripheral basis, the tires may not have had much to do with it. More important than the tires is the amount of traffic, and how heavy the vehicles are, when it comes to roadway wear.
WW (almost a geezer, depending on what the definition of THAT is!)
I'm completely mystified. How obvious a troll does dear Nomen has to post before people will get the message and NOT RESPOND?

I don't think his PhD is in English or Eng. Lit.
I work in a machinery field infested with engineering types and I can tell you that knowledge of grammar and spelling is abysmal on both sides of the Atlantic.
Similar applies to scientists, many educated to degree or postgraduate level. It is kwite apawling.
DAS
"Grayfox" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:gpCdncOggeYH3xTenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Yes it are! :-)
Matt
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 00:22:42 -0500, Grayfox

I don't know.... Many people have earned PhD and can't spell worth a lick and have no concept of grammar. Is it the educational system? The haste of thought being transcribed to the printed word? XFiles? Who knows? I have several AA degrees, but commonly make errors because I never learned to type correctly. I have my dictionary, thesaurus, spell check, and even grammatical check handy. Many a PhD has been awarded a degree, while someone else did all the typing required.
--
Spike

Your sig line explains it all.
you can't understand b/c it's rooted in human nature.
Post secondary education is about knowing more and more about less and less.
PS this isn't a flame, just an observation

have
Nowadays
asphalt
No, the geezer is correct in his tire resistance theory. But it has nothing to do with bias ply vs. radial ply. A vehicle moving in a straight line wants to continue in a straight line, even while turning. Thankfully, there is usually enough tire resistance to overcome this tendency. The curves in a gravel road take extra load because of it.
More important than the tires is the

roadway
Absolutely.
Dave
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 15:25:56 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

Aside from a couple of grooves following the arc of the curve, the biggest ruts I recall were on the road edge. This had more to do with the brittleness of the surface lacking support when vehicles strayed a bit to far to the inside or outside. I'm not sure if this was actually from bias vs radial ply, or simple not enough lateral support or the surface. Today, many roads seem to have a base which extends past the edge of the travel surface, while older roads ended where the surface ended.
--
Spike
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 01:00:04 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio

I've been picking pea gravel out of tires for about 4 decades. I'd be far more concerned with
a) how well they shed water to prevent hydroplaning b) how well they grip the road c) chains and spikes from snow tires d) heavy trucks on not very thick roadways e) even, where I live, the nature of the soil; it's very brittle and continuously slipping down the mountainsides, or washing out under the roads.
--
Spike
S'funny that he isn't zeroing in on lug tires.... the ones that can't hold a pebble to save it's life yet, like a womans high heel shoe, concentrate the load in a very small area (can we say "pounds per square inch boys and girls?").

True...they only picked up larger rocks.

I'll bet you lay awake at night dreaming up this crap.

the
Hey, this is first rate comedy! Better than Click and Clack!
Ted

degrade
Makes you wonder what he does for a living, consider the super-accurate speedo... sure hope no one pays him to be an analyst, of any sort.
My bet he assists in election campaigns... strong link between denial, obfuscation, nit-picking and politics
you pay..DEAL with it!
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 01:00:04 +0100 (CET), Nomen Nescio

You are NUTS. If you are driving in icy/snowy conditions, the finely siped tire is a NECESSITY. If you have STUDS, that is (possibly) a different story. Carbide studs damage the road, particularly if you spin the tires. Nylon studs do minimal damage. Gravel stones, sand and pebbles????? NEVER.

Total contact of harder than pavement objects in tires = .001%

The noise you hear from block treaded tires, opposed to those with fine tread designs is not simply incidental. Anything that generates energy - including sound energy- indicates 'work done' in the scientific sense.
Since this involves the entire tread surface, not just the incidental pebble in maybe one of 10 tires rolling on that track, a case could be made that firmer, wider tread with blocks affects the surface more than the odd pebble.
Finer siping, OTOH, provides more conformity and less abrading/scrubbing action.

Since the whole concept is Bullshit, it will probably become a law, eventually
you pay..DEAL with it!