Modern Tires Ruin the Roads

Page 4 of 4
May be they should start building roads out of recycled rubber from tires, then the roads could throw the stones back in retaliation.

--
Coasty
Remove The SPOOGE To Reply
Hello, Coasty! You wrote on Sat, 26 Nov 2005 05:20:52 -0500:
C> May be they should start building roads out of recycled rubber from C> tires, then the roads could throw the stones back in retaliation.
C> -- C> Coasty C> Remove The SPOOGE To Reply
C> ??>> Pebbles catch in the fine sipes of modern tires and are carried in the ??>> tread. As the tire rolls, they abrade the roadways. ??>> ??>> Earlier tire designs use coarse zig-zag treads that cannot pick up ??>> small rocks. Car manufacturers should specify tire tread designs that ??>> do no degrade the roads. Only rubber compound should contact the ??>> roadways. I seem to recall a project in Ontario a few years ago where some experimental sections of road were laid with mixtures of asphalt with granulated tires and/or sulphur. I guess it was not successful because I have not heard any more about it.
Cheers
Indrek Aavisto.
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:23:19 -0500, "Indrek Aavisto"

I wouldn't say it wasn't successful - the testing continues. A few more years will start to tell the tale.

Ever wonder what happens to all the rubber from the tire threads as the tire wears out...millions and millions of tires......every day...year after year....
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 13:48:16 GMT, "Andy & Carol"

breath, free of charge. Excepting of course the rubber that is "burnt" into the streets in front of schools.
Please don't feed the trolls. Notice that the "non specific person" has not participated in these lengthy posts other than to kick them off.
There are 3650 posts this month from NN this month alone.
A proper observation: "I believe that our recent experience with "Nomen Nescio" was an attempt to waste our time with unreasonably argumentative rants that started ..."
--
---

I've heard the tick-tick-tick of stones caught in the tread of tires since I started driving. And that was 35 years ago! Your assumption that older tires didn't pick up stones if incorrect.
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:04:39 -0500, "James C. Reeves"

almost through the top of the front fender.
keep all cars off the roads, they will last much longer!.........freeken moron......

Salt does more damage.
--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.

little hydroplaning between friends, eh Nomo?

Coarse zig zag sipes channel water much better than the circumferential sipes common on "cooler looking" low profile tires of today.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net