Modern Tires Ruin the Roads

I had one come off the front tire of my '69 Dart in "71 and come almost through the top of the front fender.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Yes the UK fuel prices have not increased as fast as in NA over the last

25 yrs, but the UK fuel taxes are still much higher as a percentage of fuel costs.

Yes UK roads are much better maintained than in the USA and Canada, but most roads bases are very old and settled and frost damage isn't a factor. Even Canada with such great distances between major population centers has better roads than in the USA. Canada's fuel costs are higher than in the USA due to taxes. It's obvious the USA needs higher fuel taxes to provide for better road maintenance. I frequently drive in the USA western states and see the frequent poor maintenance of the I5, that runs from Canada to the southern USA. Canada's roads do suffer significant frost damage each winter, so watch the potholes in late winter and spring. >:)

Reply to
Spam Hater

The UK doesn't know what deep frost is. A few years ago Ottawa, Canada experienced frozen water pipes over 4 feet down. They now are placing them deeper. That was a record cold winter, in spite of global warming.

Reply to
Spam Hater

keep all cars off the roads, they will last much longer!.........freeken moron......

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

Salt does more damage.

Reply to
NJ Vike

There's no potholes like EnY potholes...

(Doesn't scan but you get my meaning.)

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Only if you are an MP or Bush.

Reply to
Spam Hater

Matt, sorry to jump in here late but that's just not true, at least not in state of Oregon.

A couple years back OR had state highway 217 repaved. Within 2 years the surface was deeply grooved. Problem was traced to improper composition of materials used for the road. The contractor ended up coming back in and paying (mostly) for a repave with the correct materials.

It's a real small community of people in the country that puts these jobs out for bid, and most states competitive bid processes have mechanisms that the purchasing people can use to invalidate bids made by companies who cannot prove they have the wherewithal to actually do the work, or who have histories of screwing over other purchasers, etc.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

That isn't what I was talking about. Performing to the currently accepted standards isn't the same as trying to raise the bar, exceed the standards and find better methods.

Again, I wasn't talking about weeding out the bad apples. I was talking about the competitive bid process not encouraging performance beyond the bare minimum required to get the job.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

That works as long as the people running the contracting system are not corrupt, but that's why we have elections (which work as long as the people running *those* are not corrupt). :)

Bill Putney

Of course, they didn't channel water worth a shit, but what the heck is a little hydroplaning between friends, eh Nomo?

Reply to
Jorge W. Arbusto

Coarse zig zag sipes channel water much better than the circumferential sipes common on "cooler looking" low profile tires of today.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

LMAO!

Reply to