Mom wrecked her 95 Escort

and she's OK, but thank God, the car is totalled. what should she get to replace it?

An army tank???
Another Escort. Duh. If she's going to go around totalling cars, she should be driving something that she can replace cheaply.
It depends on how much she is willing to spend. Get her into a new Ford Focus. After a test drive she might love it. It's a world seller. Feel the tight steering on that car, it corners like a go cart and is as nimble as they get.
East-
I think she would prefer a Chevy Cobalt, they are totally superior to the Focus, and now that chevy is slashing prices, probally much cheeper.

wha???
CJB

Some might say driving lessons and another car.
You could start by asking what she want's. Letting her drive some of what she thinks she wants and then find something in her budget closest to what she likes.
Just my take on it seeing as she will be the one driving it.
I haven't replaced the 97 Escort Wagon, but I have bought three Escape that we really like. They are roomier than the Escort wagon, have better visibility, and get pretty decent mileage.

Something with a 5 star crash test rating.....

I thought about the crash rating too... other considerations are a small weak engine, excellent headlights, auto trans, and maybe a snitch box like in GM cars...she is in her 80's and has a bit of a careless tendency regarding stop signs and checking for oncoming traffic. Also she likes to drive too fast.
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 04:42:48 GMT, "Jim Warman"

Under those circumstances, a late model Taurus would be an excellent choice.
Get the Vulcan 3.0 engine.
CJB

Given those facts I would recommend 4 vehicles: 1) Taxi 2) Bus 3) Smart (or other micro-car) 4) Motorcycle
If she's in her 80's and truly is careless regarding stop signs and oncoming traffic you have to honestly think of other road users and perhaps have an off the record chat with her MD. but ! If she still is pretty good and has always been a bit "relaxed" regarding rules of the road then a Taurus or Five Hundred might be good choices

What's wrong with another 95 escort? That way there is not much lost if and when she cracks it up again.
the Taurus w/ Vuilcan 3.0 engine might be good - no chevy, we're a Ford family for no apparent reason. I want to put her in a 500 if I can. She wanted a Prius but that's not what I want to inherit in a few years. Assuming no more wrecks.

*SNIP*
She wanted a Prius but that's not what I want to inherit in a few

LOL
The reason I mention Taurus instead of Five Hundred is that they're rated just as well in crash tests, they're cheaper, the 3.0 vulcan is less powerful than the 3.0 Duratec you'll have with a Five Hundred, and you'll be out less money when she wrecks it again. That, of course, will mean there's more for you to inherit in cash. :-)
CJB