Mondeo Diesel Fuel Economy.

I have a 1.8 td and it is dreadful on fuel. Worked it out when wife was using it 34mpg. I used it last weekend and so far have done 179 miles from a full tank and am just above the quarter mark. I am dreading the fuel light
coming on cos I won't have enough money to fill it up again. Is this common?