Mondeo Mk3 rear door

Hi I recently locked my 04 Mondeo mk 3 hatch by central locking as usual, when I returned the rear drivers side door will not open. I tried to open the door from the inside with no luck. The opening handle does nothing and the short locking tab seems to be stuck in mid position not locked and not fully unlocked and cannot be be moved to either position. Any ideas as to how I can sort this without being able to open the door.Or any easy way to open the door without distroying it.

Thanks

Reply to
thebrads28

My 95 windstar used to do this once in a while on the rear hatch. The key or the power lock would not unlock or lock it. I would grab the lock tab with needlenose pliers and pull it unlocked. After that it would work ok for months until the next time.

My present 03 windstar doesn't have a manual lock tab so if it happens to this one I'm going to be stuck I guess.

Reply to
Denis Roy

Don't break off a key in it, if using pliers and a lot of force on the button won't do it, you will need to cut through the inside door panel. However the panel is probably available from a wrecking yard.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Over here in the US, I'd probably call a locksmith to come to my house and open the door for me in my driveway. Then I could pop off the door panel and fix the problem. I would suspect that's available in the UK too?

I would NOT take it to the dealer at first. They often aren't proficient at opening doors that way.

The problem is probably a cheap fix, once you get the door open. Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer

If the latch mechanism is jammed and a locksmith can't open it with a Slim Jim, then there's nothing he can do. Exerting enough force through the lock cylinder to unjam the latch will break the lock.

Obviously, if it is a jammed lock, a locksmith can help.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt