Mondeo Problems ets

Thinking of buying a hatchback, the Mondeo looks attractive but would welcome any positive or negative points from owners.
Any particular engine to avoid?
Any particular model to wish for?
I would welcome any comments Thanks
Robin
hi , I have a TDCI 130 (overboost 142 hp) , 6 speed ,
this is a real dynamic engine ; the tdci 115 too ; it is cheap
avoid tdci 90 (weight is more than 1500 kg)
avoid 2.5 v6 (not much better than a 4 cylinder)

I've got a 2.5 v6 ghia x,and its loads better than a 4 cylinder ,goes like crazy and very well equipped.
John
Avoid the 2.5 v6 because its not much better than a 4-banger? That's a stupid thing to say. My folks own an (unmodified) ST-24 version of the Mondeo, and it'll see off most things on the road. At 170bhp in a family car it should do too! We used to own a 2 litre version and it was totally gutless compared to this one.

Yes the 170 hp are there but it's only 25 hp more than the 2L /4 cylinders , because it is only a 2.5L A 3.0 L makes much difference ; laguna/407 3L 210 hp
BMW 2.5L is at 192 hp ; same as Alfa Romeo
Of course there is the ST 220 , but it's expensive !

It would appear that the 2.5L Duratec produces 40 hp more than the 2.0L version, and that's with the standard engine management chip! The ST-200 chucks out over 200 hp just by using more aggressive timings (i.e. different ecu) & a different exhaust...
Horse's aren't the whole story though as there's also the torque factor to take into account. The 2.5L engine produces between 40 - 60 lb/ft more than the 2.0L (you also get a firmer suspension in the ST-24 over a standard Mondeo for chucking it round corners!!) As the Tesco's advert used to say, every little helps...
Having said all that, the new 3L Duratec Mondeo should be bags of fun :o)

would

LOOL and that comes from a man that drives a diesel :-) the 2,5 v6 will run in cirkels around the TDCI.(and the 1,8/2,0) Diesel is for trucks and traktors, not cars ;-)
--
Hilsen Martin.

I was in your situation recently after returning a Renault Laguna after MUCH trouble. Bought a Jan 2003 TDCi 115 hatchback with 18k Miles. After a week it started juddering really badly. Took it to Ford who changed the flywheel and clutch under warranty. They reckon they're having a load of trouble with the dual mass flywheels which come 'unbonded'. This partly fixed the problem. They then loaded new software on which they claim has fixed it. Still judders when clutch bites going into 3rd or 4th. Also, car locks itself after about 2 minutes when I'm not in it. Not sure if it's supposed to do it, but dread leaving the keys in!!
Overall, I reckon you're better taking your time and having another look round. I won't be going for another Mondeo.

if
<snip>
This is normal,its a security feature. John

Go here for loads of info: www.mondeo.org Great forum site,tells you everything about Mondeos. John