More Problems with 98 Grand Marquis

Page 1 of 2
(1) $735 for Cheesey plastic intake manifold. (2) $550 for 5 coils and 8 spark plugs installed (the spark plugs were replaced last year) and I still get a check engine light.
I have owned cars for 34 years and this is by far the BIGGEST SHITBOX that I have ever owned
Ford basically sucks. I hope they go out of business; they deserve it.

Please don't hold it in. Please let us know how you truly feel.
Jeff: You are a ninny

mstrspy wrote:

As posted before, you have options on the manifold:
You can get a good after market manifold for 200.00. If you have to pay for labor at least supply the part yourself.
http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId 498
I was told that that particular manifold is made in China and is inferior. I have bought afermarket stff before (tail lights) and they never fit properly.

mstrspy wrote:

Several posters here have tried these without problems. Dorman doesn't sound Chinese to me. You were told by whom?
I have to replace mine soon and I've got a choice (it seems to me) of trying something designed to replace a shitty product or go back to the original suppliers of the shitty product who have already given me *one* shitty replacement for yet another chance at a good product, all the while being told to bend over when its time to pay. I'll pass.
Heh, maybe the original piece of shit was made in China.
mstrspy wrote:

Been around since 1918 http://www.dormanproducts.com / http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/060524/0131262.html
Contact:
Bill Hanvey VP Marketing Dorman Products (215) 712-5111 Email Contact: http://www.marketwire.com/mw/emailprcntct?id 8197395D624628
Currently at: Dorman Products, Inc. 3400 E. Walnut Street
Colmar, PA 18915 Phone: (215) 997-1800 Fax: (215) 997-7968 Web Site: www.rbinc.com
Unless you count fluid changes, my '95 has cost me $160 in repairs over the last 100k (I go to a dealer for work). Oh, I bought tires 100k ago too, but they're not due for replacement, yet.
PoD

I dont thinkthat the 95 hasa pastic intake. Does it ave those grappy coils @ $60 each?
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 05:08:26 GMT, "Paul of Dayon"

You are right, it doesn't. I missed that part earlier. It has 2 coils, no dist. but not the 8 you have.
PoD

Well, you can go buy a KIA..... I have to ask if you bought the car new.....
But, if you buy a KIA, Ford will miss you.... honest.

Jim Warman wrote:

i have really good luck with my crown victoria.
I won't have you speak of them this way.
Does you Crown Vic hav a lot of miles on it? My Grand Marquis that has been costing me money has 132K miles.
If it was one incident then I wouldn't mind as much. But in the past year this car hascost me a fortune. The front end had to be completely rebuilt (tie rods and ball joints) and they were truly bad
There are other potential weeknesses in this car. The transmission is known to fail if the fluid isn't changed every 35 K. I never owned a car that need that. This indicates very poor design.
Before this car, I owned a 1985 Olds Cutlass. Never had any problems oustside of the fact that it eventually roted out afer driving it for 16 years.

Mine has 185kms on it. about 120k miles i guess.
i had to put one tierod on i guess when i first got it (about 130kms -- 80k miles). brake pads all around, rotors on front. I have an axle seal leaking that I have to tackle someday.
ANY transmission should have the fluid changed every 60,000kms... why would you think transmission fluid lasts forever? You change your oil every 5000, don't you??? Brake fluid doesn't last forever, you are "supposed" to change your rad fluid every 2yrs...
These transmissions aren't known to fail, anything is known to fail if the operator doesn't take care of it. Just like all our forestry machinery in the woods, we have all contractors on strict maintenance schedules... sure maintenance takes time and costs money, but it saves big problems, and prolongs life of equipment.
You would only have to cook one motor to realize that you should change the oil when the hours are due... Maintenance takes time every day/week/month, but cooking a motor costs a lot more in the long run with lost time and replacements.
mstrspy wrote:

Picasso wrote:

Yes bought new. I rented a Kia once. It was a piece of junk.
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 05:15:40 GMT, "Jim Warman"

From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (mstrspy) (1) $735 for Cheesey plastic intake manifold. (2) $550 for 5 coils and 8 spark plugs installed (the spark plugs were replaced last year) and I still get a check engine light. I have owned cars for 34 years and this is by far the BIGGEST SHITBOX that I have ever owned Ford basically sucks. I hope they go out of business; they deserve it.
======= hi mstrspy - i remember you had the other troubles with this car too.
but i'm curious on the part where it needed 5 COP units. the 8 spark plugs are consumable, so i won't address that, but i find it strange that 5 coils unit to go.
my reason for asking is because while my two 98 + cars have over 100k on them, i've not experienced this, but i am watching for it.
but my son has a 5.4 in a 1998 van with 190k on it and did have one COP unit go back and that was it so far. he did question the parts man and was told that considering that they sit over the engine in the heat, they hold up amazingly well.
wish you best,
~ curtis
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional "Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so." http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc
c palmer wrote:

change that terradactyl to a Bald Eagle? :)
5 Cops went bad this time, one went bad a month ago, so six have been replaced so far. After spending $735 for the intake manifold and $550 for Cops and Plugs, I still get a check engine light and the engine skips. I assume that he other two remaining original COPs are bad. Tommorow I'm going to Autozone to get two more COP coils and replacing them myself. Looks easy enough
This is why I am so upset. After spending all of this and ther is still something wrong.
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:55:23 -0500, PALMER snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (c palmer) wrote:

mstrspy wrote:

Is it the coils themselves that are failing, or just the plug boots? The boots are available separately and are a maintenence item just like plug wires. I've seen very few of the coils actually fail, never more than one or two over the life of a particular car. To have 6 of the 8 fail in a short time is unheard of.