Most bang for the buck?

Just got an 83 Ranger 4x4, 5spd. Has the 2.9v6. Unsure of mileage. Previous owner had engine rebuilt but doesn't remember when. (Motor doesn't look like
it has more than 30k on it)
With the Michelin 30x9.5 R15's, it feels a little weak. It all ready has dual exhaust, and I don't want to change the gears. I can't afford smaller tires, and I want to keep the ones it has for off-roading. Has stock Motocraft 2bbl carb, and the air pump has been deleted. What can I do to give it a little more power?
TIA for any help.
Carl
PS. Can anyone tell me the rear gear ratio? Axle tag reads: GX AV 3A19 73 75 S390A Driver's door says transmission code 5, axle code 44.
Add a 4barrel carb, put on a K&N air filter, bump the timming, change plugs, change oil in rear end. THis should all add some horses on the cheap.