Most cars in Europe have manual trannies?

If yes, why is that?
Serious question.

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

How about - M P G.......
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 03:57:43 -0500, "75yrs.experience"

Quite a few automatic equipped cars are actually rated higher in mpg than their manual equivalents.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

That's a fairly recent development.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
On 12/26/2011 10:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But do those automatics get better mpg in real life than manuals ?
And since in Europe you pay for the car 2 or 3 times over with the taxes, a $1000 automatic becomes a $3,000 automatic.
Lynn

In answer to the first question - yes - if you do not know how to drive the standard for economy. The "smart" automatics are ALWAYS in the right gear.
On 1/4/2012 10:50 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

...but it's also simply a 'culture" thing....I work for a Swiss company and the guys I talk to simply just like it. They said that when you drive a car, you *drive* a car. They also don't like cup holders and most cars have sun/moon roofs as well....It's a culture thing...
lol...one of the guys said the following when I just asked:
"You drive you car, drink coffee at a cafe, eat at a restaurant, and watch television at home...You do not do all at the same time, or you enjoy none of them correctly"
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote in

Initial cost, cost of maintenance, reliability, fuel economy.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
On 12/25/11 7:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I think people in Europe are more enthusiastic about driving and a manual transmission is a more rewarding driving experience. A true car enthusiast will always prefer a manual over a automatic.
Just my opinion

It really depends on the driving, too. It sure sucks to be stuck in gridlock traffic with a standard tranny and a heavy clutch!!
I like a standard in a "fun car", and an automatic in my "work car" - but the new automatic with manual mode - tiptronic or paddle shifters - can be just as much fun as a "real" gearshift car.
I've long assumed that modern auto trannys *should* be more reliable (in average usage) than manuals, but I've not seen any "statistics" that support the notion. Anybody seen any? Or intelligent discussion of relative reliability??
I hassle the idiot drag-ass traffic in my ancient ThunderChicken with 4-speed auto, but, on a really nice day, I limit myself to 2 wheels (old Hurricane) with 6-speed close-ratio (and wouldn't have it any other way).
Cheers, Puddin'