Most effiecient speed

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

The latest Consumer Reports (the car issue) had a bit about this.
For a Camry, they got these numbers: 40mpg @ 55mph 35mpg @ 65mph 30mpg @ 75mph
For a Mercury Mountaineer: 24mpg @ 55mph 21mpg @ 65mph 18mpg @ 75mph
Also remember that everything from wind, temperature, tire pressure, the road surface, hills/mountains all have an effect, too.
says...

not decrease the same number when going from 55 to 65 as they do from 65 to 75MPH. Looks to me like more bullshit form CR. Bob

Who the hell is getting 40mpg out of a Camry???

Gotta love that. "The numbers don't match my pre-conceived notions, therefore they are wrong."

Well, it's only my observation but what about this...
Before my TBirds, I drove a 93 Probe SE 4 cyl 5 speed. I kept, then as now, good track of my fuel mileage. Because the car was fun to drive and relatively underpowered, I had my foot to the floor (WOT) a LOT... and got 26.5 MPG; 1/3 suburb, 2/3 Highway.
One tank, I decided to see what kind of mileage I could get driving like the engine was gonna blow at any minute... So I accelerated at about half-throttle, and drove 60-65 on the freeway (in the semi-truck lane), as opposed to 72-77 mph.
I expected to get about 30 mpg... but only got 27.5, so I kept it up through the next tank, with teeth gritted, and got exactly the same 27.5.
I've done the same with each of my TBirds, and can only gain 1 mpg on them, as well.. from 22.5 to 23.5.. once 24.
It's not worth it to me to pass up a minor grin, just to gain 1 mpg. And when I drove my SVO, I have NO idea WHAT mileage I might have gotten rather than 21-22 mpg... because THAT was BIG GRINS!
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, ... but dont expect me to pull over to the
right just so your freakin Suburban can block me in!

I wouldn't knock off close to 10mph to save 1mpg, either.
I think it was wise of you, however, to conduct the experiment.
I've got some experimental evidence that suggests close to a 4mpg drop in fuel economy going from 55-60 up to 70-75 and that's tempting but still probably not worth it. Dropping back from 70-75 to 55-60 would cost me an extra hotel night and extra restaurant meals on a lot of our trips. Fuel's cheaper. Our usual annual 1400 mile (each way) trip would take an extra six hours or so (each way) and we'd save something like $25 on fuel. That's about $4/per hour savings before the extra hotel night and extra McMeals take it away again. Not worth it.
It might be worth it to me to see if there's a some sort of knee in the curve where mpg really falls off and try to hit that speed. There's still a lot of variables. We don't have a mileage computer on board, so I'd have to do some consistent 200+ mile runs at varying speeds and fill the tank consistently (same pump, for a start!) a few times to get a feel for fuel economy. That would be really inconvenient. Then, temperature and prevailing winds would have to be considered. Since I don't have any kind of routine 200-mile trips, this experiment would be difficult to arrange.

Considering all your previous posts defending CR, your response doesn't surprise me. In fact if I have any pre-conceived notions at all it's that you're an idiot who believes everything Consumer Reports has ever written.

I don't necessarily believe everything CR has written. They just have way more credibility than you. They test lots of things, appear to learn from their testing and, for the most part, document what they're testing and how.
When I make a major purchase, I'm going to check and see what they have to say and probably check other published sources, too. It's way more effective than reading the internet postings of some unknown quantity called "Bob."
If you don't like their numbers, go borrow cars like that and run your own experiment. Copy their method or create and document your own.
Given the shape of the various speed/economy curves that Oak Ridge published, I'm not at all surprised to find a result that looks linear when expressed to the nearest 1 mpg.
My '00 Duratec wagon has given me 30 mpg. at avg. 72 mph on the cruise on level road no head wind. Motors running at what rpm, I think 2.5k if memory serves me.