Motor oil in radiator

I took the car into the local Ford Dealer and said fix it around Thanksgiving. They kept it for a week or so. The coolant overflow was about half full with oil. I drove it for a 1000 miles and had a inch of oil
in the overflow. They flushed and I have driven another 1000 miles and I have a inch of oil again. I think this may be too much oil to be left over from my original problem.
Subject: Re: Motor oil in radiator. Date: Friday, February 11, 2005 11:31 PM
Last one I did was subsatntially larger in cooling system capacity (not to mention oil capacity).... 6.0 litre diesel. Coolant strength and temperature ranges play into the equation. Bottom line was something over 6.5 hours of flushing and coolant exchanges (no, I didn't use antifreeze until I was happy with what was coming out). I have another with over 11 liters of oil in the cooling system..... I expect to have a bit more trouble with this one.
After two different subsystems have "swapped spit", it can be hard to clean up the remnants but it must be done to avoid any confusion in repeat concerns. I understand that your repair was a retail job? This makes it even more difficult as the financial burden of a lengthy clean up will fall dorectly on the consumers shoulders.
One piece of advice I offer up regularly..... the cheapest thing that any of us will ever do with a car is buy it.

Is your oil level going down?
As I had indicated... the weaker the antifreeze mixture, the more likely that any oil in the coolant will take on the consistency of pudding. Add temps that dip below freezing and it can turn into really gnarly pudding.
I would suggest that the dealer flush the system once again. At the same time, they should add flourescent dye to the crankcase oil (I'd probably go heavy on the dye... one vial treats about 5 liters of oil so I'd probably use 3 or 4 since the coolant will cut the dye even more). Drive another thousand miles and, if the oil slick returns, they can use a black light to see if the oil constains any dye.
HTH

oil
over
Today I drained about a quart of oil from the overflow and added a quart to the motor. The oil looked fresh.

Thanks HTH,,,, Im having a similar problem....opened the cap and all I got was chocolate coloured foam. I added more coolant but it turned brown in a day....how does the oil get into the coolant and where...

Different motors have different places where two different systems can "swap spit". There are motors I am familiar with and motors I am not.... Cylinder heads and oil coolers are the most likely places. In diagnosing these sorts of problems, we need to remember that enigine oil pressure regularly exceeds 50 psi and cooling system pressure rarely exceeds 16 PSI. Even in a 50/50 mix, engine coolant exhibits a higher surface tension than motor oil.

of