Motorcraft Battery

My 1997 Ford TB 4.6 battery just took a dump. No complaints as it was original equipment. The battery was maintenance free, which means to me water cannot be added.

Just called the local Ford dealer for a replacement. I told the parts guy I wanted exactly the same battery (maintenance free), sure, come on in we have it.

Parts guy says Ford hasn't made a non maintenance battery since 1994. Shame on me, I haven't bought a battery since that time. Place was closing so I purchased the battery and took it home. Upon further inspection, sure enough you can open the vent caps, water can be added.

OK guys, I have the flame suit on, what gives?

Reply to
Brian Arnett

The definition of a"Maintenance Free Battery .." is one that can be mounted in any position. That make most battery maker claim to a "Maintenance Free Battery .." invalid, as those batteries have free acid and can only be mounted in an upright position. The only true "Maintenance Free Battery" available for general purchase are the Optima brand, and Optima types, those do not have free acid. Those other so called "Maintenance Free Battery" are really "Low Maintenance Battery"

You are better off with a Battery that allows you to pop the vent caps and check the electrolyte levels after the first year, especially if you live in a hot place or drive over rough roads. Otherwise, once the electrolyte runs low and exposes the plates, you will never get that battery to hold a full charge.

original equipment. The battery was maintenance >free, which means to me water cannot be added.

I wanted exactly the same battery (maintenance >free), sure, come on in we have it.

Shame on me, I haven't bought a battery since that >time. Place was closing so I purchased the battery and took it home. Upon further inspection, sure enough you can open >the vent caps, water can be added.

Reply to
V.B. Mercon

Wow, my 97 bird battery died one week after the warranty expired. 3 Years if I recall. Ford wanted way to much for the replacement. I've had very good luck with Wal Mart batteries. Lifetime warranty, pro rated and cheaper.

Reply to
F.H.

Incorrect A maintenance free battery is a battery that cannot have electroloyte topped up. There are MANY batteries that fall into this category, and most are junk. Most manufacturers have gone back to "low maintenance" batteries, which are also generally considered maintenance free, as they "generally" do not require addition of water during their normal life span. On many of them removing the access covers is difficult. These batteries CAN outlast the sealed batteries if conditions cause loss of water from the battery.

AGM batteries, and Gell Cells are all position batteries and can NOT be serviced. They are generally more robust than standard wet batteries - and the spiral cell AGMs like the optima are particularly good in that respect.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

"F.H." wrote

You need to time it better, or just be lucky like me. Mine went poof on the last day of the 1-year "free replacement" period, before the 7-year "pro-rated" warrantee kicked in. The store I originally bought it from was only 6 blocks away, they closed in 20 minutes, and it was Friday the 13th. A quick jump start to get there, and a new battery installed (no charge). It's nice to get a break every decade or so. :)

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Thanks to all that answered my question. I just wanted to replace my battery with the exact same one that came originally with the car. No such luck, guess Motorcraft doesn't make this type.

Being "brand loyal" the battery that I purchased will be satisfactory. So I have to pop the caps from time to time. Living in South Florida, weather dictates that. Ended up with the Motorcraft Max Battery, guaranteed 3 years, pro rated for 100 months. Original price 107.93, but with service coupon 79.95.

With car 7 years old in May, first battery. No complaints........

Again, thanks....

Reply to
Brian Arnett