Motorists vs traffic cameras

Page 1 of 6
Wall Street Journal
...Once a rarity, traffic cameras are filming away across the country. And they're not just focusing their sights on red-light runners. The latest
technology includes cameras that keep tabs on highways to catch speeders in the act and infrared license-plate readers that nab ticket and tax scofflaws.
Drivers -- many accusing law enforcement of using spy tactics to trap unsuspecting citizens -- are fighting back with everything from pick axes to camera-blocking Santa Clauses. They're moving beyond radar detectors and CB radios to wage their own tech war against detection, using sprays that promise to blur license numbers and Web sites that plot the cameras' locations and offer tips to beat them...
Continued: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123811365190053401.html

Just slow down and dont run through the red lights and you dont have to worry about that sort of crap. Do Americans really believe that everything is okay, as long as you dont get caught?
HLS wrote:

I don't believe that I won't get caught if I'm not doing anything wrong.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
wrote in message

You obviously have never driven in Chicago traffic, or you would understand that the above sentence is an utter impossibility here. People are already getting rearended here because they jam on the brakes on a yellow now at these redlight cameras.
Sir Charles THE Curmudgeon

Am I the only one that sees the idiocy in this? I'm going to do something wrong to avoid the guy behind me who MAY be doing something wrong....
We have rules in society... because we need them. There is a rule about the intersection that could keep you from plowing into another car... There is a rule for following cars that could keep the guy behind you from driving into you... But, by and large, there are many people that refuse to follow these rules (and they will use about any limp-dick reason they can conjure up to justify it).
Just think - if we all followed the rules and paid attention to what we are doing... we wouldn't even need traffic cameras...
Every summer, they have about one week in our town where they put on a traffic "blitz". Zero tolerance is the keyword and they bring RCMP in from other areas just to avoid any personality things. They would rather have people obey the rules so that they might go home safe and alive rather than have to spend a week writing tickets only to have emergency services scrape cadavers off the road for the rest of the year.

Dear Dumbass never having driven in Chicago traffic,
After you've driven in Chicago and suburban traffic for a year, then get back to me. I've been driving in Chicago and suburban traffic for the better part of 15 years now. If you jam on your brakes in any situation, you risk getting rearended because most drivers here follow too close. I often have people following me so closely I can't even see their lights, they're below my trunk lid.
I'm surprised we don't have multicar pileups near these 'red light cameras'.
Now why don't you go f f f f fade away? (Talking 'bout my generation)
Sir Charles THE Curmudgeon

Dear sir Dumb ass, ive been driving in Chgo for 35 years, got you beat.

Dear sir Dumb ass, ive been driving in Chgo for 35 years, got you beat.
===========
It's doesn't matter anyway. Put too many cars in too small a place in ANY city in America and humans will behave the same way. Charles is attempting to portray Chicago as special, but New York, Boston and Rochester are the same way.

YOU'RE the dumbass. Get the fuck out of the car! Your ass must be ASLEEP! 35 years? Jesus Christ.

Do they still blow their horns 2.1 milliseconds after the light turns green?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Speak softly and carry a loaded .45 Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiracy Web Site: www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
wrote in message

If you rear-end someone, 99% certainty is that YOU will be charged for following too close. Lesson: do NOT tailgate.
<...>

What if you are front-ended? That happened to me. A small shuttle bus (seated about 20) backed into me.
Jeff
wrote in message

Yes, but I don't have the time to stop and explain to the officer why I have a car in my trunk . . . . I've gone without a serious accident since 1988 and I'm trying to keep it that way.
Sir Charles THE Curmudgeon
Re: Motorists vs traffic cameras:

Yes, many do. Add to that our addition to self-indulgence and it gets pretty ugly. But it's who and what we are as a "culture". Pretty disgusting IMO.
It's a well known fact that speeding doesn't cause accidents, it's driver's not paying attention. But you can't get someone for not paying attention. You can get speeders, so that's what they go after. The easy way to get rid of the cameras is to drive less than the posted limit. Once they do their yearly consultation and evaluation then the cameras will be found too expensive to operate. But if they can't raise money that way, then they'll raise it some other way. Isn't it better to have law breakers pay the "hidden tax" than to have everyone pay it?
rtc wrote:

Being intoxicated is a large factor, but speed is frequently a contributing factor. Stopping distance is proportional to the square of the speed. The severity of accidents goes up even more as speed increases.

The idea is to get people to obey the traffic laws, not raise money.
-- Ron
Ron Peterson wrote:

become a revenue generating mechanism.

I understand that part. Cops have long used zealous prosecution as a revenue generating mechanism. Usually (but certainly not always), however, if you aren't breaking a law, they dont catch you in the snare.
HLS wrote:

Wrong. At least with RLC's often the yellow interval is shorter than MUTCD recommendations to force people to either jam on their brakes for a yellow and risk being rear-ended, or else get a ticket.
http://www.motorists.org/photoenforce/home/studies /
I would imagine that speed cameras are set up similarly, I know there was one on New York Avenue leaving DC eastbound that was notorious, I think that the road was posted something like 25 or 35 MPH, it is a four lane divided highway!
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
wrote in message news:49ce3d4d$0$5464

Well, Nate, here in Texas it is not against the law to enter a light on the yellow, but I avoid doing it if I can.
If the speed is posted at 35 or 25 mph, then that is the law. We may not like it but that is just tough.
I got a ticket last year for excessive speed in a construction zone. It turns out that I had already left the construction zone, but that meant nothing to the Highway Patrol. I could have fought it and probably lost. I dont like it, but it served the purpose of making me a heck of a lot more observant.