Mr. Transmission Sucks

Without something to back this statement up, it looks a little limp.... I once had a service operation/repair/quote from Mr. XYZ company... they suck... Now... did they suck because their estimate was higher than I wanted? Did they suck because they said things I didn't want to hear? Did they suck because actual testing showed that the interent wasn't the almighty God of diagnostics or did they suck because they suck?

There are two sides to every story......

I've been on the "other" side of the story a lot of times....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I have heard the same claim for a lot of different transmission chians and shops. Transmission shops (especially chains) have the reputation of fixing every little problem with the transmission with a rebuild. That is why they offer free inspections.

However, not all transmission shops are dishonest. Some transmission shops, including some Mr. Transmission shops, offer excellent service at a decent price.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Here is the quick version. I paid over $3000 for a brand new transmission and cooler. After picking up my vehicle the transmission overheated and began to vent fluid after about 8 miles.

After keeping my car about another 3 weeks, and supposedly fixing the problem, the same thing happened. I ended up going to a dealer who found that they had a damaged/incorrect dipstick in the transmission, my trans was overfilled by 4 quarts of fluid, and that the cooler they placed in the vehicle was much too small.

If you want the long version:

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

No Thanks. You put us through the long version months ago.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Remember, Mr Transmission outlets are individually owned and managed franchises. One may not be as good as another, and they may have used your old (defective) dipstick.

As for the oil cooler, who's to say what is too small? The car comes with a cooler in the rad that is considered adequate by the manufacturer, except for severe service (trailer towing beyond the factory specified limit)

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

The idiots bypassed the stock cooler.

Reply to
Andrew

Seek counseling and get on with your life, Andrew.

Reply to
Al Bundy

========= ========= lol

Al, in Andrews defense...I've been in the tranny biz for a lonnnnnnng time.

and.... unfortunately his experience is to BE EXPECTED, and anyone, I repeat.. anyone, that's going to a tranny shop should do some extensive background research on the shop they're going to use. Yes.....there are good, honest shops out there. IMO, using my experience inside the industry.....THE MAJORITY ARE DISHONEST!!!!!!!!!!

I've worked in 5 different cities, in 4 different states, in 10 different shops. ALL TEN....were dishonest. Only one of the ten limited it to oops scenarios.

Meaning.... That that one shop, made bad diagnostic calls resulting in unnecessary rebuilds of the customers transmission, when the symptom could have, and should have, been remedied if further diagnostics were used before yanking the damn thing out of the vehical. Dishonest......because a customer should NEVER have to pay for a service they didn't need. (my belief)

any whooo...... ANY POSTER out there looking to get tranny repairs done NEEDS to be aware of the fact that ALMOST ALL TRANSMISSION SHOPS ARE DISHONEST!!!

THIS IS A FACT!!!

now..... all you guys can negate that, debate that, hate that, dispute it, rebute it, or start a freek'n war over the topic and what i've stated.

ANY TRANNY GURU......that frequents these NGs will confirm what I'm posting. Unless they're in denial, are liars, are crooks, or have'nt been in the industry for more than a year or two and have yet to "network" with other shops and their employees.

so ya'll give Andrew a break....... you'de be pissed off too if someone took 3 grand of your hard earned money for something and all you got was the middle finger and bad service in return.

Imagine going to WallyMart and buying yerself a $3000. TV.......and it didn't work. They wouldn't take it back. They wouldn't refund yer money. you'de be pissed enough to post it in hyperspace and warn others about it too.

any whoooooo........ that's my rant.

~:~ marsh ~feels sorry for the honest techs out there......that CAN"T find an honest shop to ply his trade in~

Reply to
Reefer

For the most part, I have to agree with you. The only exception being your contention that "most" tranny shops are crooked. There are many, very many. But I believe there are more honest shops. The dishonesty and incompetence seems to run rampant in the chain shops like Mr.Transmission and AAMCO. My observation has been that well established shops fare much better. In my area we are lucky to have 2 independent tranny shops. Both do excellent diagnostics and repairs. You WILL pay a price for it though. They have the training, tools and knowledgable employees to do the job properly. This costs money.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

In our area, the best tranny shops around were the Mr Transmission shops for many years, because the franchisees were capable, honest men

- who actually knew how to fix transmissions. There was also a local independent who did excellent work for a good price.

Another franchise, which will remain nameless, was owned by the father of a friend of mine. He knew NOTHING about transmissions. He just bought a "business". When he died, the two sons took over. Neither knew ANYTHING about transmissions. They hired workers who were SUPPOSED to know transmissions. They got a bad name very quickly - and being "honest" men, they quickly went broke trying to make things right.

Many chains will sell a franchise to anyone with a bank account, regardless of ability to run the business or repair transmissions.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

========= ========= Tom, repectfully, your naive.

Let me get you to thinking about something, if I may. Let's say you carry your vehical into one of these "trusted" shops in your area.

Let's say they told you the transmission must come out, and the most it would cost to repair would be around $2400.

Would you let them do the job?

This is not a trick question. If you will answer it..... We'll go to the next step.

and.... I'll show you how easy it is to get your money from you, how easy it is for an outwardly honest appearing shop to turn dishonest in a split second....

Just be honest.....you've given the low-down on these 2 trusted shops in your area. So....do you trust them, or not?

======== (Here's our Scene..ario)

~~ringy dingy~~

MR. ADKINS.... that vehical you dropped off, we ran a diagnostic scan on the vehicals PCM and the indicators given dictated that we do a visual inspection on the units filter and fluid condition. In order for us to do this we removed the transmissions oil pan for an inspection of contaminates. The initial test-drive, combined with the diagnostic scan, then formally confirmed with the fluid and contaminate inspection, have cofirmed that the unit must be removed from the vehical in order to be repaired. The cost of the repair will not exceed $2400 + tax.

Would you like us to proceed with the repairs Mr Adkins?

~~~~

respectfully submitted for discussion ~:~ marsh ~cleans off his chalk board....class is starting~

Reply to
Reefer

=========== Claire, respectfully................. like Tom, you're naive.

Let me get you to thinking about something.......

Are you honest?

completely?

never faltered?

not........once?

Honesty, in my book, is not a gray area.

respectfully submitted for discussion

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Reefer

I suspect you are talking to me, although you got my name wrong. Naive how?

And wher'e your problem? They refunded the money for all the repairs that were not done correctly- and went bankrupt doing it. They were "honest" men. Unlike the franchise sellers, who made it quite clear that no transmission knowlege was required to operate a successful franchise. These were not "honest" men.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Well, I did. I took my 1995 Pontiac Trans Sport in to the local Mr Transmission shop when it lost low gear drive. I knew what had happened - the drive cage, or whatever you want to call it, had lost its "splines" The tranny had 300,000km on it, and the shifting was getting a bit ragged before the failure. I knew the governor had issues. They said they'd check it out and let me know what was wrong. An hour later they called and said the grive cage was in 2 pieces, there was significant griction material in the pan, and the governorvalve needed to be re-sleaved - a common problem on that transmission. Did I want to spend $2300 to have the tranny rebuilt?

I said "no, but what option do I have?" I could buy a used transmission for $500 and pay them $300 to put it in - and have it fail in 3 months, or I could scrap the van, which I had just put a new engine in 25,000km before.So I said "do it". The guy has a good reputation, I knew my tranny needed a complete going over, and he offered to do it for what I believed was the going price (I spent over 25 years in the business, so had an idea what the current "pound of flesh" was worth. Could I have done it cheaper, or had it done more cheaply? undoubtably, but my time and agravation was worth something too. The car was out of commission for a day - It would have taken me several. They had all the parts, special tools, and current experience - I didn't. I trusted their work. Two years later, I've no regrets.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca