Mustang 1999 problem with shift out of park

I'm having a problem with my Mustang '99 , when I put my foot on the brake it will not shift out of park.
I also realize none of brake lights aren't working...
The only way to star the car, turn the key to the first postion(unlock) - the position before ANY lights come on in the dash, shift to neutral, start the car, then shift & go.
djdtime wrote:

So? What does that tell you? It's either the brake switch or the associated wiring.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

And since you have no brake lights either*******
--
I. Care
Hopefully you are not driving the car without brake lights, even if you know how to get around the shift interlock...

start the car, then shift

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

The brake light switch is also operating a solenoid that locks the shifter. You need to check the switch and it's wiring.
Also, driving without brake lights is both dangerous and illegal.
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:52:52 -0500, Andrew Rossmann
Not if you roll down the window and signal every stop the good old-fashioned (and still quite legal) way - Left arm out 90-degrees, elbow bent, forearm straight down, palm back.
Been There, Done That. Gotta get to work, I can fix it tonight.
Hopefully the people that end up driving behind you were paying enough attention in Driver's Ed (rather than reading a Playboy stuck inside their textbook) to remember what that means in time. ;-)
If they don't, it's their own damned fault.
Of course, that will get old REAL fast when it gets cold outside, and even moreso when it's below 40F, or raining, or snowing...
--<< Bruce >>--