Mustang lower control arms

I recently experienced accelerated tire wear on my 2006 Mustang. Both front tires had the inside edge down through the cord. Took it in for repair and was told it was the lower control arms. Both of them.

No aftermarket parts available. Ford only. With two new front tires it was WELL into 4 digits.

It apparently is a common problem on the Mustang. I've heard it's happened in as little as 5000 miles.

Any info on this?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y

We have a number of this body style Mustang in our town... nothing remarkable so far.... I don't even have 20,000 kms on my 05 vert yet so.....

A very few of our Mustang owners live in areas where they would be better off with a 4WD but....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well, I'm not too happy. Especially when I go on line and find that Ford sells a heavy duty race ready kit that includes BOTH new lower arms and a remount for over $100 less.

They sell a pretty much stock but heavier duty 'racing' lower arm kit that includes both arms that would have knocked almost $400 off the bill.

And I checked... The Ford dealer is listed as a location to get the race parts. Granted, the race/hd parts probably aren't in stock, but all else being equal, well, I don't know. I'm just kind of pissed and feel 'taken'.

Reply to
Mike Y

Looking on Rockauto.com it looks like there are several brands of aftermarket complete control arms starting around $200 each. Usually you can just replace the bushings but no replacement bushing were listed. From the looks of the control arms in the photos they don't look like they could take the trauma of removing the old bushings so most likely there never will be anything available but the entire control arm. What did the dealer charge you per arm for the parts????

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

These would fit mine, not completely sure 98 is the same but probably.

1996 Ford Mustang :3.8L 232... My Vehicle Choices Shop All Parts Current Vehicle 1996 Ford Mustang :3.8L 232CI V6 FI VIN: 4

Moog Control Arm Bushings - Lower Part No. K8495 Kit; Frt Susp; Lower; 2 Required Warranty LIMITED LIFETIME REPLACEMENT Offer Price: $36.99

Reply to
George Jetson

I'm not sure either but I think they swapped to a completely different chassis in 2005. Those new control arms look pretty "throw away" to me, nothing at all like the thick heavy metal on my 69 firebird control arms.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Very strange, On my '89 I never replaced any parts on the front end except brakes! The tires lasted a very long time and I only used to replace them when I got tired of them. They still had some thread though. Fred

Reply to
Fred