Mustang overheating

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

Since it's "normal" in the 4000 rpm range.. and gets hot at idle... any chance with the serpentine conversion, a under drive pulley was used on water pump?
"" wrote: > On 28 Jun 2005 13:36:30 -0400, 82Mustang
> wrote: > > >"82Mustang" wrote: > > > No the thermostat is in the correct way. I also can feel > that > > > the entire radiator is getting hot along with both uper > and > > > lower hoses. > > > >i had a friend help whith the build up so i dont know about > the head > >gasket, how can i bleed the air out of my system? The > radiator cap is > >brand new (have tried both old and new caps-no difference) > and i > >bought a serpentine water pump for the serpentine belt > sysytem. Today > >i started it up and there is no smoke from the tail pipes. > but when i > >revved it up there was a slight hesitation before it tached > up > >(granted its a little wet out today, but the car shouldnt do > that > >with the high compression ratio 9.5to1, cam and carb size) > also it > >seemed like if i kept reving it-on off on off up to about > 4000 rpm the > >temp guage would stay normal? but the neighbors are probably > not too > >happy. The hoses didnt start to get hot until the needle was > in the > >middle and on normal. But how/why was the car running at > normal temp > >in the same conditions for about a week, and after adjusting > the > >valves and timing did everything go bad. > > Since it's "normal" in the 4000 rpm range.. and gets hot at > idle... > any chance with the serpentine conversion, a under drive > pulley was > used on water pump?
yes there is a underdrive pully system on the car but if you hold the RPM constant at 3000 or 4000 the temp still goes up. its only when you rev it and let it come back down then rev it again etc.
On 27 Jun 2005 00:36:02 -0400, 82Mustang

Are you sure your ignition timing system is setup correctly and that the mechanical advance is working correctly. Make sure the mechanical advance is free and moving up and down with the engine speed with the vacuum disconnected. Your vacuum advance should be attached to the vacuum port above the throttle plates such that it only "sees" vacuum when the throttle is opened. Make sure that line goes to the advance side of the diaphram if you by chance have the dual diaphram advance unit. You should also check to be sure the vacuum diaphram is not leaking. Retarded timing can easily overheat an engine. Make sure the base timing is correct with the vacuum lines off and plugged. I think I saw somewhere that it stumbles when the throttle is opened. That may indicate a lean mix condition which will also overheat an engine. A stumble can also be cause by retarded ignition timing. You might also want to double check your plug wire firing order. If you have installed a performance cam, it may very well use the HO/351W firing order. This will also cause overheating and stumble.
I also note you installed what you believe to be a water pump with serpentine drive. Assuming you have the correct water pump for that setup, the fan should rotate opposite the direction of the engine. Is it possible you have the wrong pump even though you ordered the correct unit. Some parts guys lose track of what you are doing on things like that and just "go by the book". Another big cause of overheating as you describe is the wrong orientation of the head gaskets. I have also seen the wrong intake gaskets installed which will cause overheating. I suppose it is also possible to have the wrong head gaskets but, I wouldn't go there first.
Good luck Lugnut