Mutant Ford ignition switches?

Does anyone know exactly how/why Ford committed so many unnatural acts with ignition switches back in the 90's?
I stop my '94 Tbird, switch off, remove key and pocket it, and the idiot
sensor keeps going "ding-ding" to warn me the key was still in the ignition. If I fiddle with the switch position a bit, it'll stop, but I don't got time to do that the rest of my life. :-(
Anybody got a clue? I remember checking for a recall years ago. I don't think they acknowledged it even applied to my 'Boid.
Thanks, P

How many keys do you have on your key ring or chain? DaveD

If you're thinking 'extra weight', that's no help. I keep my ig. key separate and by itself.

Just wondering...I have seen weight destroy ignition switches totally. Obviously not the problem in your case...I would guess from your description that the switch has worn out and the answer is to replace it...My '82 F250 needed a new switch a couple of years ago but that is after about 250k miles. I too have only the ignition key and nothing else on a split ring...Good luck ...DaveD

When you replaced your switch, did they 'key' it so the old keys still worked? If they can do dat, I guess maybe I'll hit the wrench-a-wreck yard for a switch replacement.

Negative...I had a replacement switch from another truck that I had salvaged and swapped out the ignition switch...During the winter here we often leave the vehicle running during a short stop to keep everything warm so having one key for the ignition and a different key for the doors works quite well...DaveD
I have a 1995 T-Bird. The original ignition key wore to the point that I could remove the key from the ignition with the car still running or pull the key out in any position. The solution was to cut a new set of keys using a second unused set as the template. Works normal now. Many years ago while in Texas I rented a T-Bird Sport model that had a special aftermarket theft deterrent collar mounted around the ignition switch.