My 2002 minivan has poor Mileage? what can I do?

I have a 2002 Mini van that is only getting 22 gpm (should be 26gpm). My tire are in good shape and have enough air. What else can I check to improve mileage? I don't want to spend big bucks for replacing sensors.
thanks
My 2002 minivan has poor Mileage? what can I do? Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Wed, Jul 20, 2005, 2:48pm From: snipped-for-privacy@test.coom (lbbss)
I have a 2002 Mini van that is only getting 22 gpm (should be 26gpm). My tire are in good shape and have enough air. What else can I check to improve mileage? I don't want to spend big bucks for replacing sensors. thanks<<<<<<<
If you're getting 22 gpm (gallons per mile) why would you want to get worse (26 gpm) mileage?
Assuming you mean mpg (miles per gallon) it could be the load you're carrying, where and how you drive. The 26 mpg is only an EPA required estimate, not carved in stone.
Eric
oops, meant mpg. Also, forgot to mention that is strickly highway driving.
Typical generic MPG enhancers include but not limited to...
Make sure tires inflated properly.. Don't drive so fast Don't drive around with alot of extra weight in the car. Switch to synthetic oil Ensure the car has a tune up , good air / oil filters No dragging brakes fresh fluid in the tranny. Make sure your exhaust is not clogged.
Buy gas in the morning when it is cooler out , gas expands as it warms so you are getting less for your money when it warms up during the afternoon.
plan your trips
If the check engine light is on go get it fixed.
A car that is well maintained gets better mpg then one not taken care of.
Efficiency is partly related to getting the proper amount of air and gas easily into the engine and how quickly the end result can escape thru the exhaust pipes . Thats why motorheads go nuts over high flow exhausts and air intake systems
The rest is based on body aerodynamics, drivetrain design and upkeep, and the idiot behind the wheel.
Also don't expect miracles. Don't believe bold face lies for MPG add ons.

While gas does expand when it gets warm, the temperature of gasoline in the ground is pretty constant, because the temperature underground does not change much.
Also, don't do jack-rabbit starts and stops.
Try to make trips back-to-back, because a cold engine is not as efficent.
Jeff