My 93 Explorer 4.0L V6 4x4 needs an engine - 95 Windstar 3.8L V6 needs a transmission

Will a 3.8L V6 from a 95 Winstar bolt up to a 93 Explorer 4x4 transmission and will the computer run the 3.8L?
I have $350 in the Explorer and the Winstar is taking up space at
Dad's, he would give it up for a little cash to get rid of it. I am open to scrapping both vehicles and getting another beater but would like to get as close as possible to getting the $350 out of the Explorer. Bought it from my neighbor last week, needed freeze plugs and a thermostat, replaced it, engine is knocking and appears to have a bad head gasket.
Even if the swap won't work, I'd like to learn more about the differences in the two engines.
Thank you for your time,
Kirk

I don't know about switching engines and transmissions but I'd venture to guess from what I've read that it would not be easy to get everything to work even if the engine bolted right in.
How many miles are on the 4.0 V6? Did the previous owner seriously abuse it? These engines are generally very durable but blown head and intake manifold gaskets are common. Did you do a compression test?

Not sure if she abused it, may not have changed the oil quite as frequently as she should have, and ran cheap motor oil in it some. I ran it hotter than I should have in troubleshooting the cooling problem, it would fluctuate going up and down every couple minutes, so blame sits more with me than her. It appears to have a rebuilt transmission, she said she replaced the radiator and alternator in late 06, didn't want to put anymore money in it when the freeze plugs popped. Appears to have a new starter, has new tires. I hate to scrap it, but haven't really done any engine work before, only minor repair. I guess I'll start looking for an engine, might trade the Winstar for a good motor. I have friends that have done engine work who would help me do the R&R. I'll pick up a compression test kit this weekend.
Thanks for responding.

abuse
Kirk J. wrote:

No.