my car dies when i put it in gear

Threaded View

i have a 1997 ford taurus, when i put it in gear.... it dies. it starts and
idals just fine. we changed the spark plugs, put on a new fuel filter and a
new lock up converter, and it still does it. please help. im at my witts end.

Re: my car dies when i put it in gear

Check for a vacuum leak from the intake to the power Brake booster.

Good luck!

Re: my car dies when i put it in gear

I had a similiar problem. I cannot remember the exact part but close to an
Idle Air Flow Sensor. Did the check engine light come on ?
and
end.

Re: my car dies when i put it in gear

ISC valve. It's the part that controls engine idle when the engine load changes.

Re: my car dies when i put it in gear

    Does it feel like it goes into gear, trying to drive away just as it
dies?  If so, the controls to the lockup torque convertor are
malfunctioning, kinda like a stuck relay.  Could be the old t-convertor was
ok.  s

Re: my car dies when i put it in gear

Someone else asked this already, but I don't see a reply...are you
getting a Service Engine Soon light on?

Re: my car dies when i put it in gear

yes,the engine light came on today

Re: my car dies when i put it in gear

ISC valve.

Re: my car dies when i put it in gear

I could see that if it drove fine but died at idle, but he is having
the reverse of this problem.  It idles fine but dies when it goes into
gear.

Re: my car dies when i put it in gear

I'm just going to take a wild guess that you don't have a code scanner.
 If the car was driveable you could take it to an auto parts store and
they would usually read the code for you for free.

Here is a code scanner pretty cheap from Advance Auto Parts:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3389&mfrcode=ACN&mfrpartnumber=CP9125

If you're cheap I suppose you could use it to read the code then return
it....

I'd say that is the next step, find out what codes your car has stored.

Re: my car dies when i put it in gear

Do you have a code reader to check what codes are stored?  If not you
can pick one up for about $80 at your local autoparts store.  Get one
that is for OBD-II.