my car dies when i put it in gear

i have a 1997 ford taurus, when i put it in gear.... it dies. it starts and idals just fine. we changed the spark plugs, put on a new fuel filter and a new lock up converter, and it still does it. please help. im at my witts end.

Check for a vacuum leak from the intake to the power Brake booster.

Good luck!

I had a similiar problem. I cannot remember the exact part but close to an Idle Air Flow Sensor. Did the check engine light come on ?

and

end.

dj61560 wrote:

ISC valve. It's the part that controls engine idle when the engine load changes.

Does it feel like it goes into gear, trying to drive away just as it dies? If so, the controls to the lockup torque convertor are malfunctioning, kinda like a stuck relay. Could be the old t-convertor was ok. s

Someone else asked this already, but I don't see a reply...are you getting a Service Engine Soon light on?

dj61560 wrote:

Jeremiah Greer wrote:

yes,the engine light came on today

"dj61560 via CarKB.com" wrote:

ISC valve.

I could see that if it drove fine but died at idle, but he is having the reverse of this problem. It idles fine but dies when it goes into gear.

I'm just going to take a wild guess that you don't have a code scanner. If the car was driveable you could take it to an auto parts store and they would usually read the code for you for free.

Here is a code scanner pretty cheap from Advance Auto Parts:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode389&mfrcode N&mfrpartnumber=CP9125

If you're cheap I suppose you could use it to read the code then return it....

I'd say that is the next step, find out what codes your car has stored.

Do you have a code reader to check what codes are stored? If not you can pick one up for about $80 at your local autoparts store. Get one that is for OBD-II.