My dealings with Ford / Peninsula Ford Palo Alto

I have sold my ford, and am purchasing a Honda Civic. The situation I've been dealing with for now close to 3 months has upset me to the point of where I will never purchase a Ford again, and I have been a ford customer for over 7 years - my first car was a ford, and this will be the last Ford I ever purchase.

On February 20th, I took my 2001 Taurus into Peninsula Ford of Palo Alto because with 3 or 4 people in the car, the car would make a loud rattling noise in the back. The car was under the ESP warranty. I was told the rattling was due to the placement of the exhaust, and nothing could be done, and charged a $42 diagnostic fee. I told them this was unacceptable as the car was brought in a few months prior, and the resolution was a TSB that involved moving the exhaust. I called and spoke to a lead there the next day who said he'd have the service manager, Ben Perez take a further look at the car. I took the car back, and was then told the problem was due to the car being 'overweight' due to the radio and fire equipment I have in the car (I'm a volunteer Firefighter and a volunteer for a air ambulance - I have 3 two way radios mounted in a console which replaced the stock console, and my turnout coat, jacket, and helmet in the trunk). I told them I didn't believe this was the case, as the radio console I put in replaced the center console that comes stock, and the weight difference between the two wasn't much. I was told I'd need to have the car weighed. I was only able to get the car weighed with myself and one other person in the car. The car was under the max weight by more than 200 pounds in the front, and close to 600 pounds in the back. Clearly this was not a weight issue, there was something else. I faxed the documentation of this weight issue over to Mr. Perez. A few weeks later, Mr. Perez called me back and told me that he STILL believe it to be a weight issue. I pushed it, telling him it clearly wasn't, and I had the documentation showing the car was below the maximum weight. He then told me that putting the radios in the car voids the cars warranty, and as such, regardless of the weight of the car, the warranty is void. At this point I called the Customer Relations Manager who told me my only option was to call the General Manager, Ron Faudrey, who I called Friday May 7th at 4:10. I have yet to receive as much as a call back.

It's obvious Peninsula Ford doesn't care. I've filed a Better Business Bureau complaint, I've registered my complaint with Ford Corporate. What other agencies would I have be a good starting point?

PS: Peninsula Ford is in Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, and Burlingame (California)

Thanks.

Evan

Reply to
Evan Platt

Seems like a pretty minor problem that ONE garage could not pin down, certainly not enough to ditch the car. Wait until you try to press the Civic into emergency response duty... you are in for a rude awakening with regard to payload too... weight & volume, and passenger/driver space. It's too bad you did not try different shops or dealers.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Reply to
Brad Coon

That weight was with me and my girlfriend in the front. The 2 people in the backseat whenever I have passengers are my mom and dad. My dad weighs a tad under 200, my mom a tad over 100. The rattle has occasionally happened with just me and my girlfriend in the car, and

80% of the time with me, my girlfriend and my mom in the car.

WAY under weight.

Get over a faulty car?

Uhhh OK.

Reply to
Evan Platt

Unfortunately, Peninsula Ford owns the 4 shops locally here. And they noted my account that installing the radios voided the warranty.

Ford Corporate is unwilling to help.

Right now I need to save money, so getting a smaller car with better mileage is a priority.

The radios weigh all of 30 pounds, the fire equipment all of maybe 50 pounds. Not a huge issue.

Evan

Reply to
Evan Platt

Reply to
Brad Coon

The group will feel better now that you've chosen the Honda. Will you be an active poster in the Honda group?

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

You've done the right thing. Let me tell you what happened to me...

Like most people, I actually owned 2 GM's and one Ford in the late

70's thru 1988. After getting sick and tired of all the problems, in 1988 we decided to buy a Toyota Camry. Loved it, never had any problems with it. Since then over the past 16 years we have bought a total of 3 more toyota's. (Not even counting the fact that the kids only buy toyota and honda)

Maybe if the american car companies like GM and Ford had not screwed us over back in the day, we would give them another shot. But now, why would I ever choose to buy a gm or ford again when my only experience with them was problems.

I'll be the first to admit that perhaps today Ford/Gm is as good as toyota or honda, but you know what, they screwed me over, toyota never did, so I will always give my business to toyota first. Thats the biggest problem american car companies face. You cannot afford to screw over your customers and then ask them to come back (especially if someone else is taking care of them very nicely).

Reply to
mark

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Brad Coon

If your toyotas are so great why have you needed to buy four of the in the last 16 years? Average life span on your ricer is only 4 years?

Reply to
Richard and Gwen

Yeah really... My Ford is 37 years old and still running strong. It's my daily driver and probably will be for many years to come. I can easily carry a couple hundred pounds of tools and parts in the trunk, as well as a 7 passengers with comfort. I'd like to see you do all that with a Foreign car, let alone one that's 37 years old!

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

It's a combination of both. It's a LOUD rattle. You can hear it in the car with the radio at a loud volume. I'm payinig $290 a month for the car, plus $99 a month for the extended warranty that I'm now told is VOID because of the installation of radios between the seat.

half the story (maybe) they should

You're getting the whole story. I've already gone to a dealer, and paid a $42 diagnostic fee to be told the installation of radios voids the warranty. I demanded a refund. They denied it. I told them if the radios between my seat voided the warranty, they should have never taken my money in the first place. They stand firm in ripping me off.

Reply to
Evan Platt

How is it over weight? With me and a passenger, it's 2280 front, 1580 rear. 200 pounds under in the front, more than 500 in the rear.

Reply to
Evan Platt

I drove with my friend in His Honda civic. Me, my girlfriend, and my 2 male friends - both over 6 feet, and well over 250 pounds. I'd say the combination of the 4 of us weigh well more than the radios and equipment I have in my Taurus. And the Civic went nowhere near bottoming out.

PS: Please trim your replies to only quote the relevant text.

Reply to
Evan Platt

Interesting.. I guess it's true - a 'specific' group, i.e. alt.autos.ford are mostly filled with what one would think are Shills. My post here gets a slew of "Get lost you looser, you're not telling us the whole story, you're a liar.". My post to a non specific group, i.e. ba.consumers attracted a ton of people reporting similar problems to myne. Not one negative post accusing me of anything.

Looks like I'll stay out of this group, it appears this is where the Ford employees hang out.

Reply to
Evan Platt

Well, I do not know the details of your ESP warranty contract but I suspect it, like most warranties, it has a clause that stipulates ANY modifications to vehicle MAY/PROBABLY WILL void the warranty.

Therefore, I NEVER do any modifications to a car under warranty. Why tempt fate? And obviously, there are two sides to every disagreement.

This does not excuse the manufacturer from standing behind their product BUT it is a word to the wise...

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 and a

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

Well lets see 'Richard and Gwen', to answer your most intelligent and thought provoking question about the life of a ricer...

After getting the first one and having such a good experience with it, the wife got one in 1990. Then in 2001 I finally traded mine in and got another. The wife just traded hers in a few months ago for a brand new 2004 camry se v6.

Since the average car (foreign or domestic) is traded in well before

12 years maybe now you can understand how we've had 4 in the past so many years.

Oh, and by the way, not one of the cars has ever been taken in for anything but routine maintainence.

I'll stick to Honda and Toyota. Gave GM and Ford a chance and they both sucked the big one... Can anybody say 'The road to redemtion campain' that GM admitted they sucked the big one?

Cheers.

Reply to
mark

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Maybe because it did not have all your fire fighter gear on top of all the human weight?

Reply to
Thomas Moats