My dealings with Ford / Peninsula Ford Palo Alto

Page 1 of 2
I have sold my ford, and am purchasing a Honda Civic. The situation I've been dealing with for now close to 3 months has upset me to the point of where I will never purchase a Ford again, and I have been a
ford customer for over 7 years - my first car was a ford, and this will be the last Ford I ever purchase.
On February 20th, I took my 2001 Taurus into Peninsula Ford of Palo Alto because with 3 or 4 people in the car, the car would make a loud rattling noise in the back. The car was under the ESP warranty. I was told the rattling was due to the placement of the exhaust, and nothing could be done, and charged a $42 diagnostic fee. I told them this was unacceptable as the car was brought in a few months prior, and the resolution was a TSB that involved moving the exhaust. I called and spoke to a lead there the next day who said he'd have the service manager, Ben Perez take a further look at the car. I took the car back, and was then told the problem was due to the car being 'overweight' due to the radio and fire equipment I have in the car (I'm a volunteer Firefighter and a volunteer for a air ambulance - I have 3 two way radios mounted in a console which replaced the stock console, and my turnout coat, jacket, and helmet in the trunk). I told them I didn't believe this was the case, as the radio console I put in replaced the center console that comes stock, and the weight difference between the two wasn't much. I was told I'd need to have the car weighed. I was only able to get the car weighed with myself and one other person in the car. The car was under the max weight by more than 200 pounds in the front, and close to 600 pounds in the back. Clearly this was not a weight issue, there was something else. I faxed the documentation of this weight issue over to Mr. Perez. A few weeks later, Mr. Perez called me back and told me that he STILL believe it to be a weight issue. I pushed it, telling him it clearly wasn't, and I had the documentation showing the car was below the maximum weight. He then told me that putting the radios in the car voids the cars warranty, and as such, regardless of the weight of the car, the warranty is void. At this point I called the Customer Relations Manager who told me my only option was to call the General Manager, Ron Faudrey, who I called Friday May 7th at 4:10. I have yet to receive as much as a call back.
It's obvious Peninsula Ford doesn't care. I've filed a Better Business Bureau complaint, I've registered my complaint with Ford Corporate. What other agencies would I have be a good starting point?
PS: Peninsula Ford is in Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, and Burlingame (California)
Thanks.
Evan

Evan Platt wrote:

Seems like a pretty minor problem that ONE garage could not pin down, certainly not enough to ditch the car. Wait until you try to press the Civic into emergency response duty... you are in for a rude awakening with regard to payload too... weight & volume, and passenger/driver space. It's too bad you did not try different shops or dealers.
Rob
Put 2 210 pound males in the back seat based upon what you said your car weighed on the scale and you will be just under maximum in the rear and will be over in the front by about 100 pounds based on the bias of the car. So with that load and 4 people , the exhaust might hit over bumps , GET OVER IT.
Brad

On Tue, 18 May 2004 02:14:26 GMT, "Brad Coon"

That weight was with me and my girlfriend in the front. The 2 people in the backseat whenever I have passengers are my mom and dad. My dad weighs a tad under 200, my mom a tad over 100. The rattle has occasionally happened with just me and my girlfriend in the car, and 80% of the time with me, my girlfriend and my mom in the car.
WAY under weight.

Get over a faulty car?
Uhhh OK.

On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:10:53 -0400, trainfan1

Unfortunately, Peninsula Ford owns the 4 shops locally here. And they noted my account that installing the radios voided the warranty.
Ford Corporate is unwilling to help.

Right now I need to save money, so getting a smaller car with better mileage is a priority.
The radios weigh all of 30 pounds, the fire equipment all of maybe 50 pounds. Not a huge issue.
Evan

So what is it a small rattle that makes the car 'undrivable' or you can't afford it and need a less expensive one? Stop your whining , and go to a new Ford Dealer, unless we are only getting half the story (maybe) they should be able to help. Brad

Brad, Been there done that with this guy. It's over weight. None of his number has ever added up.

How is it over weight? With me and a passenger, it's 2280 front, 1580 rear. 200 pounds under in the front, more than 500 in the rear.

Go by your Honda, the full moon is past.

Translation: "Gee, I don't know."

Evan Platt wrote:

You're reading from the wrong book. The translation is more like: "we realize that you aren't here to seek advice, or a resolution. You've already made your decision, and the only reason you're posting now is to rub it into everyone's face."
In other words... you're a troll who hasn't bought his Honda yet. :)
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
On Thu, 20 May 2004 16:11:09 -0400, Isaiah Beard

No. I'm here to share my experience with Peninsula Ford and Ford as a whole.
Take a gander at alt.marketing.online.ebay - that's the group I frequent. I think you'll see I'm anything BUT a troll.

Do I need to post a picture of the Honda sitting in my driveway? Would the VIN number suffice?
A quick call to South Bay Honda could confirm this too.

Evan Platt wrote:

BTW, your posting history on usenet seems to concur that you're just trollin':
http://tinyurl.com/3he7q
Gads I love Google. :)
--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

No it really looks to me like you bought a used car that was not what you needed, so now to fix your error you are going to make a bigger one by getting a car that has less weight capacity than what you have now. But you are so delusional you think you are thumbing your nose at all other in self defiance........sort of like a two year old.Buy your Honda and shut up.

The Taurus was fine until they moved the exhaust. After that, it went downhill. The car is / was WAY underweight. Ford simply refused to do anything short of take my money and run. Weight, again, isn't an issue. I replaced the center console (weighs about 30 pounds) with a aftermarket console with 3 radios installed. Total weight: 70-80 pounds. Net difference: 50 pounds. Fire gear: 50 pounds. Total weight: 100 pounds. I have a friend with the same Honda with MORE gear without a problem (he's FD and SAR).
Evan

Then buy it and shut up already.

Tom , Most people with a rattle in the muffler , even if dissatisfied with their dealer would go to a midas or meineke or local garage and have them fix it, no , this guy buys a new car. To each his own. Brad

On Tue, 18 May 2004 02:32:30 GMT, "Brad Coon"

It's a combination of both. It's a LOUD rattle. You can hear it in the car with the radio at a loud volume. I'm payinig $290 a month for the car, plus $99 a month for the extended warranty that I'm now told is VOID because of the installation of radios between the seat.

You're getting the whole story. I've already gone to a dealer, and paid a $42 diagnostic fee to be told the installation of radios voids the warranty. I demanded a refund. They denied it. I told them if the radios between my seat voided the warranty, they should have never taken my money in the first place. They stand firm in ripping me off.

active poster in the Honda group?
Bill

You've done the right thing. Let me tell you what happened to me...
Like most people, I actually owned 2 GM's and one Ford in the late 70's thru 1988. After getting sick and tired of all the problems, in 1988 we decided to buy a Toyota Camry. Loved it, never had any problems with it. Since then over the past 16 years we have bought a total of 3 more toyota's. (Not even counting the fact that the kids only buy toyota and honda)
Maybe if the american car companies like GM and Ford had not screwed us over back in the day, we would give them another shot. But now, why would I ever choose to buy a gm or ford again when my only experience with them was problems.
I'll be the first to admit that perhaps today Ford/Gm is as good as toyota or honda, but you know what, they screwed me over, toyota never did, so I will always give my business to toyota first. Thats the biggest problem american car companies face. You cannot afford to screw over your customers and then ask them to come back (especially if someone else is taking care of them very nicely).