My kingdom for a 5 cent piece of neoprene!

Grr!
A mechanic friend just replaced my power steering pump. The thing is now purring like a kitten, as opposed to the banshee wailing it was doing. The
problem? The stupid rubber O-ring supplied for the high pressure line kept cacking up (well, that O-ring and all the extras my friend tried from his kits...I know they're a one-shot deal). Now my car is out of commission for at least 2 days while he tools around the city (I'm in Toronto) trying to find a tapered neoprene ring like the original. (This happened to him before, he's a Mopar man but condescends to work on the "Fords of friends"). He couldn't find any at his usual suppliers. So, my questions to you are:
a) is it possible to buy neoprene kits b) if not, does anyone know where I can buy a single? c) does anyone know who manufactures said tapered neoprene gaskets.
Apparently the dealership's solution is to buy a new line...does anyone else find this ludicrous? Paying $100-150 for a part I don't need just so I can get the attached 5 cent piece of plastic?
Thanks for any answers to the above questions!
Cheers.
Toni from T.O. 95 Taurus 3.0 litre
You mean the little white one? I've bought them from a dealer before. comes in a baggy of about 4 or 5.

Your mechanic friend did not look very hard at the o ring. It's not rubber. No wander he failed so many times trying to get it to not leak! It's nylon and is readily available at Ford dealerships as well as reputable parts stores like NAPA.

"pick one" <try again!> wrote in message

rubber. No

and is

like
Would that be the original gasket you are talking about, or the replacement supplied by Fenco with the pump.
I only saw what he was fitting and it sure looked like a rubber o-ring to me (and I'm a scuba diver, so I've seen plenty).
Toni from T.O.
Why else would o ring after o ring fail? Either it is the wrong size, wrong type or some one does not know how to install one ( over tightening for example ) . The correct o ring is a white nylon square cut. A round rubber can be used, but it has to be the correct size. The correct size and type would be one used in hydraulic straight thread o ring sealed fittings not the generic o rings found in automotive o ring kits.

pick one opined in

BTW: To install... put those in very hot water to get them pliable

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:35:00 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

Another trick is to slide them down the shaft of a large tapered "driver" to expand them (right after you take them out of the hot water) as long as you don't get carried away. There is also a tool that is made to go over the end of the fitting to make it easier to slide it past the "bump". -- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:
"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789
"pick one" <try again!> wrote in message

wrong type

example ) .

used, but

in
found
Yes, you are right, the correct o ring did turn out to be a white nylon square cut. Which was not, unfortunately, supplied with the Fenco pump (and they can look forward to a letter of complaint for that). The bloody thing cost $3.00 at the dealer, which means it's what, 50 cents wholesale, how hard would it be for them to use OEM rings.
Thanks to all for your input. I knew I could depend on you :-)
Toni from T.O.