Mystique: hood won't open, battery dead

My mum's car has been sitting outside in Canadian winter for a few months. There is not enough charge in battery to start car (but remote unlocking works). The hood release won't work. Thought it was
frozen, but we had a good thaw today, and I threw a few buckets of hot water over hood, into the grille and still no joy.
My question is, is it possible to get a trickle charger to work through the cigarette lighter on this car? It is a 97.
Thanks for any info! You guys helped me in the past with my 95 Taurus problems. Now I have a 2007 Fusion, which I hope will not give me any troubles for a few years!
Toni
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:30:44 -0800 (PST), missToni

I believe the ignition needs to be on for the cig lighter to be "live" so to charge through the lighter socket the key would need to be on. I THINK it will work in accessory mode. My wife's car is at work so I can't check right now. (1996)
On Feb 14, 3:54pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks! There's no rush :-)
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:44:50 -0800 (PST), missToni

OK, just checked my wife's car and it is FTL (full time live), not switched, so charging through the lighter plug will work - but maximum 20 amp charge rate or it will blow the fuse.
On Feb 14, 7:46pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Great! My uncle, an electrical engineer and amateur mechanic, is rigging something up as we speak. Thanks!
On Feb 14, 7:46pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My uncle came over today while I was at work and charged through the cigarette lighter. He's a handy guy to have around :-) So even if I don't manage to get the hood open, at least I can drive it to my mechanic. It saved me having to push the car out of the driveway to get a tow.
On 2/15/11 7:04 PM, missToni wrote:

I hope someone checked and filled the tires.
Jeff

Yes, uncle did that too. Engineers have the best gadgets! In the end, couldn't get latch open, so it was taken to the mechanic. apparently the cable had corroded, and thus was replaced at a cost of $160. Yikes! Then a new set of tires, too :-) That car is heading for Florida on Sunday.
In article <6f9c4f7d-2ceb-464d-9d8d-
says...

The cable or latch may have rusted. Have somebody pull on the release, while somebody else pulls up (or maybe push/pull up and down) on the hood. Hopefully, this can get the initial latch loose.
On 2/13/11 9:30 PM, missToni wrote:

It is. They make special chargers that charge through the cigarette lighter.
You should be able to get them at Sprawlmart, Target and similar stores as well as auto parts stores.
Most likely the problem with opening the hood is that the latch is rusted.
Jeff

I can hear some play when someone pulls the release, so that's probably it. I will try shooting some WD40 through the grille, as well as Andrew's suggestion, though that hood is down pretty tight. Thanks! Toni
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:32:47 -0800 (PST), missToni

There are better penetrants than WD40 - and better lubricants too. Everybody has their favourites and I won't start a penentrant war by recommending any specific one (which may not be available in your area)
Where are you located in this great ice-burg called Canada???
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca says...

WD40 is good to GET it loose. Once loose, use some good grease or whatever Ford specifies for permanent lubrication. WD40 is not really designed to be a lubricant.
On 2/15/11 6:03 PM, Andrew Rossmann wrote:

Apparently it is designed to be a lubricant: http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips /
On Feb 15, 6:03pm, Andrew Rossmann

I'll try it to loosen. Hope I can hit the latch!
On Feb 14, 11:43pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm in Toronto...not TOO cold, and not too much snow :-) Today is a balmy -5 C
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 15:58:48 -0800 (PST), missToni

I'm 100Km west in Waterloo