NASCAR a Ripoff!

Page 2 of 2

I used to be a big fan, but the big parity efforts really just pushed me out of it. When they started raising and lowering partsof the shape to slow fast people down, I realize they weren't racing any more.

Yet people still buy things (not just cars) that they see at NASCAR (it should be in all CAPs, because it is an acronym) because they see it at NASCAR. A lot of people buy things just because it has the NASCAR name associated with it (or NBA, MLB, NCAA, NFL, etc.).

Incorrect. People can still race in other types of racing and work their way up to Nextel Cup racing.

People can still get killed. But I much prefer that they don't.

The excitement is still there. The risk is less, but driving at 200 MPH is not safe, even now. But I am glad it is safer.

Last I checked, there are very few cars that can go around a track at 150 MPH at the showroom. And even fewer that are safe doing so.
>It was when the average joe

Stop watching NASCAR and go to your local track, then.

Funny, Toyota will be a Busch series and Nextel Cup sponsor next year with Toyotae in the races. And they are racing the trucks now.
Jeff

running NASCAR. Backwood racers aint got much of a chance in hell anymore in working up to Nextel.
troll!
Let go of your dork and pick up the remote..... flip over to homogarden TV and watch all those nice designer folks....
There are many bone stock or near bone stock series being run... probably many may be close to your home. Notice that these races don't fill the stands to capacity. Notice that millions and millions aren't spent on advertising.... notice that there are no TV cameras... Somehow, a trackside shot of cars going 78 mph just wont be real exciting.
While the sanctioning body remains to be NASCAR, we have seen the evolution of these cars over the years... They are safer now than they have ever been... There is an amazing amount of technology involved (nearly 1000 HP from a 358 inch engine running a spec carburettor)... but this is what the cup cars have evolved to.
Next up... let's all bitch at John Force for having painted on headlights....
In the FWIW department.... Glenn Roberts and Tiny Lund are but two names that come to mind to lose their lives driving a "stock" car.... back then, a manufacturer simply had to homolgate a vehicle to qualify it to race (that meant build and offer 500 vehicles for sale to the public). Even with evolving levels of safety, drivers like Neil Bonnet, JD McDuffy and others have died in accidents that would be made only worse if these cars weren't purpose built.
True. Football should go back to the way it was too. Leather helmets, and real pigskin!

....and stop using helmets in hockey too. ;-)
Tommy Bastogne wrote:

If this sort of thing upsets you, you can always go to a non-Nascar race or even a demolition derby if you like to see recks. The only real difference is that there is not that much media coverage. But bare bones racing still exists here in the US, you just have to know where to find it.
--
The List Man
http://www.esotericwonders.com

For years the "stock" cars have been stock in look only.
snipped-for-privacy@witthoft.com