Need Advice Fixing Brakes Ford Tempo

I have a Ford Tempo which needs its brakes fixed. I am going to try & do it myself. I did so--with a more experienced friend--last year with another car I had.

Side-note: I've had to fix brakes every single year, though I've owned different cars. I'm hoping to keep this car awhile just so I don't have to fix brakes every year. This should be an every 5-year thing, this is ridiculous.

Anyway.

As I see it, I need these parts

*front brake pads, about $17 *front rotor, $50 (25 a piece)

I think last time bearings were involved, too.

What else would I need?

Laugh at me if you will, but for doing BOTH front wheels I'm trying to keep it right at $100. I think having to spend $300 for brakes is extremely expensive, EXTREMELY expensive.

But anyway we've been riding on them about 2 weeks or so like this. There was NO warning, just one day--bam!, metal grinding metal, just like that.

What tools will I need besides a rachet set, the tire changer, jack, and screwdrivers?

And step-by-step instructions--if there's a website that does this, fine. I did so this with my friend last year, but afraid I'll miss some steps.

Thanks a LOT. I plan to do this tomorrow sometime.

LRH

Reply to
Larry R Harrison Jr

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote: "I have a Ford Tempo which needs its brakes fixed. I am going to try & do it myself. I did so--with a more experienced friend--last year with another car I had. Side-note: I've had to fix brakes every single year, though I've owned different cars. I'm hoping to keep this car awhile just so I don't have to fix brakes every year. This should be an every 5-year thing, this is ridiculous. Anyway. As I see it, I need these parts

*front brake pads, about $17 *front rotor, $50 (25 a piece) I think last time bearings were involved, too. What else would I need? Laugh at me if you will, but for doing BOTH front wheels I'm trying to keep it right at $100. I think having to spend $300 for brakes is extremely expensive, EXTREMELY expensive. But anyway we've been riding on them about 2 weeks or so like this. There was NO warning, just one day--bam!, metal grinding metal, just like that. What tools will I need besides a rachet set, the tire changer, jack, and screwdrivers? And step-by-step instructions--if there's a website that does this, fine. I did so this with my friend last year, but afraid I'll miss some steps. Thanks a LOT. I plan to do this tomorrow sometime."

You going to need something to compress the cylinder on the caliper with. A large "C" clamp works well. A pair of pliers to undo the cotter pin on the spindle to change bearings. I not sure if the Tempo has a floating type rotor or is held on by the spindle like my Taurus was.

Take and jack up both sides of the car and remove both wheels from the car. Only take and disassemble one side so you have the other side as a reference to look at.

You stated you heard metal on metal grind so replacing the rotor is a good idea but if they are not to bad you may be able to have them turned at a machine shop or auto parts place.

Hopefully you won't need a caliper. Sometimes the caliper will not release properly and will stick. This will cause the pad to rub on the rotor and ruin the pad and rotor. Check the caliper good for motion before removing from the car by getting someone to press the brakes for you. If the caliper compresses and releases fully then you should be okay.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

Thanks for the tips. Anything else I'm missing, like

*greasing the bearings (do you have to replace them w/new everytime, how can you tell if they're worn)

*draining the brake system--by the way, the mechanic who checked it out wanted to "flush" the brake system. Can I do that myself, how easy it is?

LRH

Reply to
Larry R Harrison Jr

If you're talking about front brakes, get pads, rotors, and calipers. All less than $200. Add about $30 for hoses. Then you know the front brakes are 100%. Look at your rear brakes. linings, spring kits and cylinders are ~$100 or less. Your Tempo (and thus the major brake components) are, at the least, 13 years old. They have lived their lifespan. Wheel bearings are sealed units. If they arent noisy, they are ok. The rotors slip off on all Tempos and are cheap. Rear drums are an interference fit originally but the replacements "usually" slip on. One place that you don't want to cut corners, even on a budget, is brakes. They stop you from 60 mph to 0 mph when you need them. They have to be 100%. How much is your life worth.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Oops. I forgot the real wheel cylinders at ~ $10 each. great insurance.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Second Tom's advice...if the 'grinding' was sudden, check the calipers for retraction before you go to the store. If piston wont retract under gentle but firm pressure, you should buy two news calipers and bleed the entire system.

And likely, new rear brake cyls as well.

Rear wheel bearings are a problem on the Tempo/Topaz... the quick fix (when you take it to a 'cheap shop' is to use the old outer race... bad move! They'll go out again in about 20,000.

Check the outer for scratch/washboarding/wear; then, if good, clean the bearing carrier, work in new grease

Tom Adkins wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic