Need advice on retired police car

Page 2 of 2

I've owned a 91 CV police vehicle since 93, it had 99k when I purchased it and now has 189k and is still going strong. Problems have been the usual few, fuel pump, radiator, alternator. Had to replace the PS pump as the pully which was friction welded to the shaft snapped off. Tranny went at 130k but that seems to be when they usually go anyway and I was expecting it. Look for a state car, avoid the city cars as they'll have more wear and tear. Do a web search on 'police vehicle', there's a number of companies that specialize in used ones.
The CV is one tough vehicle. Nothing on the road today comes close to it, when properly maintained. Particularly nothing within $25,000 and it will see many years of service. Generally when states are selling their police vehicles they are first offered, at a set price, to smaller departments within the state. Those that are not sold are then sold to the general public at auction. Of course the best are picked up by small departments. At auction the rebuilders get the majority which are then purchased mostly to taxi company's. A million miles is common before they finally go to the bone yard.
mike hunt
Fred Brown wrote:

<snip>
"Bush" wrote

Is that good or bad? :)
Of course, the Taxi companies buy them too, and often put a couple of million miles on them over the next 5 or so years, so they can't be all that bad.
$300? We are talking about real cars, not model cars. LOL
mike hunt