Need advice, serpentine belt/coolant hoses

Hey all,
I recently purchased a 95 ford mustang gt with the 5.0l (~85k on the clock). While it's in pretty good shape it needs tlc.
question 1: The serpentine belt is original. I have a slight squalling on start
for about 10 secs and then it's fine until it sits overnight. I will replace the belt and idler pully since the idler pully seems "cupped" and is not smooth. Is it a good idea to replace anything else, tensioner, etc.? Is aftermarket ok for the belt and pullys?
question 2: All hoses are original and I noticed some swelling on the heater hoses. Can I just get some heater hose at napa, cut to fit and replace the current hoses? The reason I ask is that the current ones have a lot of bends in them that I would lose and not sure if that will make a difference.
TIA
Be sure to check the small hose between t-stat housing and intake manifold.
They crack a lot

On 5 May 2006 13:20:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@socal.rr.com wrote:

If anything is going to screw you out on the road, it's gonna be a belt or hose letting go, and it'll probably be in an inconvenient area. I've made it a point to replace my hoses and belt(s) every 4 years, regardless of mileage. I read somewhere that hoses have an average life of about 5 years, deteriorating from the inside out, so you can't see their true condition until it's too late. These days, most auto part stores have computerized inventories, and the clerk can call up just about every hose on your car. I just tell them I want all the hoses, whether coolant or whatevers, for my particular vehicle. I leave with a box of strange-shaped rubber tubes and a Saturday worth of work. Pre-formed hoses are the only way to go because that coil of straight hose isn't going to bend around a lot of obstructions and stay open. Some manufacturers are even sinister enough to use hoses that have different diameters on each end. My Ford truck's hoses cost about $60, and my '97 T-Bird sets me back closer to $70. The piece of mind is priceless.

Not to undervalue the need for vigilance, but I think you read that on an auto-parts site. I have found that to be not true... on my fords, at least
Think they also say new belts every three years and new O2 sensors every 85,000 miles.
you pay..DEAL with it!
TOP POST:
Hey guys thanks for the info on all the hoses. I will definitely replace them all. I much prefer to be safe than sorry. What about the tensioner for the serpentine belt? Is that a give me replace also?
Thanks again.
snipped-for-privacy@socal.rr.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@socal.rr.com wrote:

Well, if it's easier for you to just replace them all... than to learn to tell when they really need it, then have at it.
you pay..DEAL with it!