Need help identifying red light.

Hi again, Being without a manual is a bit of a pain. Could anybody please tell me what this light is for, This is a link to a picture showing the light.
http://www.ukcar.com/road_tests/Ford/escort/1.8-ghia-estate/clock.jpg
It is below the clock and between the two clock adjust buttons. When turning on ignition is glows red for about two seconds.
I didn't even know i had an alarm or immobilizer. I was going to make a kill switch this weekend to connect to the fuel pump. Any idea how i activate/test the alarm.
in message

the
You seem to have some knowledge of the ford alarm system. I have a 97 Ghia Escort Estate.Every now & again(month or so), the alarms goes off(always in the middle of night).Have disconnected the alarm horn(in rear of car) so as not to annoy neighbours. Car always O K when I reset alarm(By unlocking/locking car) & have tested doors by tapping hood switch. Another thing I noticed.When I lock car, sometimes indicator lights flash(presumably acknowledging alarm ) & sometimes this does not happen?
in message

the
covered
door
the

European, if that makes a difference.

Red light is just for the immobiliser then. Standard fit after 95 I think.
thanks, you know if there is an easy way of testing this besides hotwiring the car :( or do i just have to trust that it works.
in message

spend 6 or 7 getting a key cut at say, Timpsons or somewhere. It wont have the red blob, so it won't start the car.
HTH
Pete M
Hey thanks alot you guys.. I found out that my immobilizer is working correctly. And just in case any other of you people want to know the easy way of testing your immobilizer without hotwiring or getting a key, then just wrap tin foil (alminium foil, roil of foil in the kitchen) around the key making sure to allow it to touch shaft of key. This earths the foil, making it a shield for radio signals. try and start your car with this new adjusted key and the red light just flashes. the car wort turn over. I have not tested the extent of this immobilisation, I was going to roil it down a hill and try to jump start it, but it was late and dark maybe another day.
in message

car
have

Never thought of that, nice one Vicky :-)