Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary. Now with pictures!
- Posted on
- need help on Motorcraft 740 carburetor
February 24, 2006, 4:18 pm
rate this thread
I need advice on Ford Motorcraft 740 carburetor for 1984 Ford Escort
1.6 L 2 barrel loosing vacuum on carburetor. So rpm is at 1250 rpm
due to vacuum leak. I used carburetor cleaner to race vacuum leak and
found it was leaking from the choke housing. Inspection of choke
housing shows it is loose. Choke is not working at cold start. It
appears lost one screw inside the housing. I found a matching screw
*8-UNF 0.25 length pan shape slotted head machine screw to tightened
the housing. But it is still leaking vacuum. I got the shop manual to
see the diagram. I see I am supposed to have 3 screws. I got one screw
remain. I got another one to tighten the housing. I do not the
location of the third one. Question: is it suppose to have 3?
*** The diagram shows I may be missing a choke shaft washer and nut
(#39 and 40 in the diagram, and also a choke retainer seal (#28).
Question: will I be able to find these in a rebuilt-kit?****** Manual
instruction also says drill out the 2 rivets. Question: to do what?
Manual also says use outside vacuum source 17" to hold the choke
when assembly? question: how to get an outsdie vacuum?
February 25, 2006, 2:14 am
- » Honda to produce fuel cell car in three to four years
- — Previous thread in » General Ford Forum
- » Lamp out light going off and on on 1993 ford tauras
- — Newest thread in » General Ford Forum
- » How many years of Ford F250 pickup beds will fit mine?
- — Last Updated thread in » General Ford Forum
- » How does a vehicle pass Maryland emissions with the engine light on????...
- — The site's Newest Thread. Posted in » Automotive Technologies