Need help w/Taurus auto transmission prob

'95 Taurus 165,000 mi. Lost all but Lo gear while driving. Can put it in Dr & can accelerate from stop. Stays in Lo. When I let off gas, coasts as if in neutral. Doesn't re-engage until RPM's pick up to match the speed in Lo.

Have Reverse. Fluid at bottom of cross-hatch on dipstick when cold.

Any tips?

Reply to
bustedknuckkles

No tips... but a 'hint'!

"Fluid at bottom of cross-hatch on dipstick when cold"

Find a friend or neighbor and check THEIR CAR'S AT fluid level when cold!

And what does ANY manual say about checking AT fluid level?

Maybe a different posting monicker including word 'knuckle'? ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

LMFAO backyard your info is BOGUS depends some have a full hot and full cold indicated on dipstick your not only a crusty old geezer your a WANNABEE or you would see this fluid sounds close enough should be no problem its stuck in second which has no one way clutch scan for a code

hurc

Reply to
simpson4532

we'll see... you could be right. Because first gear'engage' doesnt usually work well with low fluid....but then, again...

Since I have a 95 taurus... and you cant separate it out from the rest of the cars that come across your grease rack.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks, "Crust", I may be an older geezer than you, but my point about fluid was so it was known that when it was "cold" it fell at the bottom of crosshatches, and therefor when "hot" it would probably be higher. My manual says never add fluid if the level is within crosshatches. I guess I should run my car in the driveway for about a half hour to make sure I comply with the manual. Maybe quicker to drive around in Lo at about 4000 RPM and 30 MPH for awhile.

I thought maybe someone might have had an experience like mine and know whether it was computer related, fluid, linkage, transmission shop, or trans replacement.

Also, I would have used 2 "Ks" knuckle instead of 3 had it been available. I'm not sure but you may have been giving me a spelling lesson along with the others you gave me.

Anyhow, I do appreciate your time.

Reply to
bustedknuckkles

Only first and reverse? If you have a good solid first gear, the intermediate clutch is not working. Possible causes, shift solenoid # 1 on the valve body, or 1-2 shift valve stuck, but not likely; what I usually see is the intermediate clutch plate splines are stripped, or planetary shaft is broken, which means internal trans repair, or replace the tranny. The only other thing that can be fixed without removing the trans if a broken snap ring at the servo located at the rear of the trans near the oil pan, but that usually also gives you a slipping or no lo gear. HTH Ted

Reply to
Ted

Thanks, Ted. 1st is solid . . . no slippping at all. It was starting to upshift pretty hard (solid thunk into 2nd) at times.

I had just started getting an occasional whistling sound from exhaust, and thought catalytic converter might be causing the noise and hard shifting.

3.0 engine, by the way, transverse.
Reply to
bustedknuckkles

The cat won't usually cause a whistle noise, but the muffler or exhaust leak could; this would be unrelated to the trans problem, though. If the sound were actually coming from the trans and not the exhaust, it could be that the pressure solenoid on the main control is sticking, causing high line pressure and a buzzing or growling noise. This could have caused your harsh shifting.

Reply to
Ted

trann y shift selinod possable h u r c

Reply to