Need help with a 99 Crown Victoria and a turn signal flasher

This is a real mind blower to me but I hope someone has heard of this before. A few weeks back I would hear a ticking sound now and then coming from the dash as I drove the car. Always thought it was my keys hitting something but it never lasted long enough to track it down.

Today,on a drive, the ticking started and would not stop. It sounded exactl;y like the turn signal flasher. But it was going almost twice as fast. If I used the turn signal, the ticking would slow to its normal rate and the turnsignals would work normally. As soon as the turn was completed the ticking would resume. I tried using the turn signal arm to affect it by jiggling the arm but no luck. The 4 way flasher interrupts the rapid ticking but only as long as it is in operation. All bulbs are working and everything works the way it should. The ticking will not occur in the accessory position, only with the ignition on.

Obviously something had degraded. I have since didcovered the LCM, lighting control module. As far as I know, there is no flasher as in years past. The LCM does that chore now. Can I service the LCM or does it have to be replaced? Is there a flasher inside? Do I have to get the LCM from Ford? Could it be something else? Hope its not the switch in the steering column. The racket is driving me crazy!!! :)

Thanks,

Bill

Don't use your reply icon if you want to contack me direct. use:

wabate at dandy dot net

making the obvious changes.

Reply to
Bill Abate

I belong to a '94 Tbird LX V8.

When I lock the left turn signal, I get what you got (fast clicking). When I depress it without locking, it works OK. Rt. signal works OK. The problem is in the MFS (Multi-Function Switch, inside the steerg column).

I'd guess there's a material probability that you have an MFS problem. Wouldn't hurt to check other possibilities.

About 5 years ago I had a different MFS problem (windshield washer fluid). I managed to get the MFS out, cleaned/replaced it, problem hasn't recurred. Can't 'member if I tried that for the left signal. I never lock the thang anyway.

I had to interrogate a very nice Ford mechanic to find out how to remove the dreaded MFS. :-)

Pudd>This is a real mind blower to me but I hope someone has heard of this

Reply to
Puddin' Man

In article , Bill Abate wrote: (snip)

When the switch at the base of that control stick was dying in my '95 CV, sometimes the turn signal would come on at double-speed, but not when they were turned off. Other times the brights wouldn't come on. I don't know if that's useful information, though - it just seemed worth mentioning given the double-speed thing. Good luck.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll