need help with ford tempo

i have a 1991 ford tempo, 4 cylinder. runs good but when you put it in reverse it stalls. it doesn't stall in any other gear. any suggestions on what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Several years ago, I recall a similar concerns with some of the pick ups. The cure was to service the transmission (believe it or not). Transmission line pressures are very high in reverse and the power required was more than the engine could deliver at idle. More recently, some of the diesel/4R100 trucks were also having a nearly similar concern in extreme cold temps.... the cure in this case was to switch to synthetic ATF.
HTH.

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 18:20:08 GMT, "Jim Warman"

LMFAO
FAIL year 4 auto trannies
its the lock up torque beiing enguaged
i bet it does it in manual low too
replace the torque and tranny your pump is prolly fied too
h u r c

Chances are you don't have the same problem as me, but just in case...
My 89 ford tempo was stalling whenever i'd put it into reverse. I parallel park and have to Drive/Reverse frequently to get out of my parking space. I found that whenever I moved it to reverse it had a great chance of stalling, but it'd never stall when moving between any other gears.
A couple weeks later my ignition failed, and if I turned my key it'd start.. and as soon as I let go it would kill the engine. I got my ignition replaced, and I did not experience any more stalling on reverse. I don't know how the 2 were related, but that's just my experience.
When you say you got your "ignition" replaced, what exactly do you mean?